- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Publication Date: 2007
Norman L. Geisler (PhD, Loyola University) serves as the president of Southern Evangelical Seminary and is the author or coauthor of some sixty books, including his four-volume Systematic Theology. He has taught at the university and graduate level for nearly forty years and has spoken or debated worldwide.
Beginning with the infamous Scopes trial in 1925 and concluding with the most recent Dover case in 2005, Dr. Geisler provides readers with an overview of five court cases. Setting the stage for the cases to come, he devotes the first part of the book to the Scopes trial followed by a quick review of the 1968 Epperson v. Arkansas Supreme Court ruling.
The next and most substantial section of the book is devoted to the 1982 McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education trial, which became known as Scopes II. As an expert witness during the McLean trial, Dr. Geisler writes from firsthand knowledge about the court proceedings in that case. The final two cases he discusses are Edwards v. Aguillard (1987) and Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District (2005).
Through his review of these five cases, Dr. Geisler shows that since the Scopes trial, weve come full circle. Its now the evolutionists and not the creationists who are trying to deny schoolchildren the right to hear the scientific evidence on both sides of the evolution/creation debate. And the courts have ruled consistently in their favor.
Creation & the Courts also includes six appendices that include media coverage of the McLean trial, a transcription of Dr. Geislers testimony in the McLean trial, a review of the Webster case, and a discussion of the two competing views about origins.
Creation & the Courts is not an easy book to read since much of it consists of court transcripts, legal arguments, and judicial rulings. It is, however, an important book to read, especially for Christian parents whose children attend public schools. Creation & the Courts will help parents understand where the legal battle lines have been drawn with regard to the teaching of human origins and will enable them to make better-informed decisions about their childrens educations.
Reviewed by Linda Whitlock, Christian Book Previews.com
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Culture
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Culture
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Challenging Topics
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Culture
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Religion & Society
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events