Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Vendor: Answers in Genesis
|Publication Date: 2007|
Democrats for Life: Pro-Life Politics and the Silenced MajorityKristen DayNew Leaf Publishing / Hardcover$2.99 Retail:
$15.99Save 81% ($13.00)
Mr Miyagi4 Stars Out Of 5Two types of stem cells!March 31, 2014Mr MiyagiQuality: 4Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4As the title indicates, this documentary is about cloning and stem cells, and focuses mostly on stem cells. The most interesting fact mentioned concerning cloning, was that it took 277 attempts to successfully clone Dolly the sheep, who died at a relatively young age due to old age. (I highly recommend that you purchase this DVD to find out why.)
This documentary includes desperately needed education regarding stem cells. The two types of stem cells are Embryonic Stems Cells (ESC), and Adult Stem Cells (ASC). For the most part, when the media report on ESC, they just call them Stem Cells. They usually claim that people who oppose ESC research oppose Stem Cell research because of religious or political reasons only. This is misleading for two reasons. One, people who oppose stem cell research oppose ESC, but not ASC. Two, reasons for opposing ESC go beyond religious, moral, or financial concerns, since ESC research has failed to produce one single treatment for disease, ever. In other words, science is on the side of opposing ESC! This documentary is especially more important and timely, considering the Obama administration's overturning of George W. Bush's eight year ban on using taxpayer dollars to support failed scientific research. Consider these facts:
1) As of the release of this documentary in 2007, the score for ASC vs. ESC was 73-0! (ASC have treated 73 different diseases; ESC have treated 0 diseases!)
2) ASC have been used for more than 30 years to treat more than 20,000 Americans for 73 different diseases.
3) ASC are non-embryonic, meaning no abortion is needed, avoiding the ethical problems regarding ESC.
4) ASC treatments can use the patient's own cells, which means no tissue rejection.
5) ASC can be found all over the body, as well as in umbilical cord blood and even amniotic fluid.
6) ASC can differentiate into almost any tissue. (It was once thought that ASC could not differentiate, but this argument is no longer true.)
Also, if ESC research ever results in successful disease treatment in the future, consider these troubling facts:
1) The patient would need lifelong drug treatment to prevent tissue rejection.
2) Rapid growth could produce tumors.
3) Cells could be genetically defective.
4) Other serious side effects could occur.
I highly recommend this DVD for more information regarding the issue of ASC and ESC research. The interest in ESC research is over POTENTIAL treatment for diseases, while ASC research has yielded PROVEN treatments. This is why the private sector favors ASC research over ESC research. This is why the government is needed to fund ESC research. With all of the moral, ethical, and scientific problems regarding ESC research, it makes no sense whatsoever to take taxpayer dollars to fund it.
HeadmasterNashua, NHAge: 55-65Gender: female4 Stars Out Of 5A well presented review of the issue.September 21, 2012HeadmasterNashua, NHAge: 55-65Gender: femaleQuality: 5Value: 4Meets Expectations: 4This video offers a thorough and balanced presentation of the issues surrounding cloning. I particularly appreciated the easily understandable explanation of the facts contradicting current evolutionary theories.
Find Related Products▼▲
Here at Christianbook.com, we offer thousands of quality curriculums, workbooks, and references to meet your homeschooling needs. To assist you in your choices, we have included the following symbol next to those materials that specifically reflect a Christian worldview.
If you have any questions about specific products, our knowledgeable Homeschool Specialists will be glad to help you. Just call 1-800-788-1221.