We all know what it's like to put off an important conversation at work--whether asking for a raise or promotion, or telling an employee that there's a problem with his or her performance. Now Debra Fine, conversation and communication guru, shows us how to come out on top of those dreaded office chats--and how to achieve what we want in each situation. Debra includes specific advice on exactly what to say, when to say it, and what body language to use to achieve the desired results. Learn how to:
The Fine Art of the Big Talk
- Become skilled at the art of quiet negotiation
- Determine your "sales" message
- Keep meetings on track and stick to an agenda
- Analyze what your body language conveys (often it's not what you think!)
- Overcome public-speaking fears
- Offer feedback to employees and bosses alike in a constructive, productive way
- Reduce conflict in the office and with customers and clients
- Fire someone or deny someone an expected promotion
- Inform that longtime supplier that his products haven't met with quality standards lately, and tell that major customer that her shipment is going to be late
- Master e-mail and voice messaging etiquette, and make a positive impression every time
- And much more.
is the perfect book for CEOs, managers, and principals, as well as staff and administration, who want to gain techniques that result in improved work environments, increased revenues, and positive interactions in the workplace.
Former engineer Debra Fine was a wallflower if there ever was one. But when she found herself at 40, a single mom and divorcee, who had watched her more affable colleagues get promoted around her, she decided she needed to step up her conversational skills. And in doing so developed a system she now teaches to countless others. Debra has become a nationally recognized expert on communication skills, presenting keynotes, training sessions and workshops for numerous corporations and organizations along with hundreds of insurance, real estate, legal, financial and health care associations.