This product is not available for expedited shipping.
* This product is available for shipment only to the USA.
A survey level look at Rome's emperors, their lives, achievements, and scandals.Chronicle of the Roman Emperors
provides biographical portraits of the principal emperors from Augustus to Constantine. Drawing on the judgments of ancient historians-such as Suetonius and Tacitus--as well as the findings of modern research, this is a broadly conceived comprehensive history of imperial Rome. The text covers the infamous-Caligula and Nero-and the heroic Augustus and Marcus Aurelius-and receive appropriate evaluations in light of historical evidence, while lesser names emerge from the shadows to receive their due.Features
- Biographical accounts of all the emperors from Augustus to Constantine
- Personalities and eccentricities of the famous-Claudius, Trajan, Hadrian, Diocletian-and the infamous-Caligula, Nero, Caracalla, Elagabalus
- Timelines throughout with at-a-glance visual guides to the length of each reign, and main events that led to the fall of Rome
- Datafiles for every emporer listing key information: name at birth, wives and children, full imperial titles and place and manner of death
- Extensive quotations from Roman historians such as the scurrilous Suetonius and the sober Tacitus
- Genealogical trees and over 90 sidebars and special features ranging from Nero's Golden House to Diocletian's Palace
- 328 Illustrations, 111 in color, including coin portraits and busts of each emperor, maps, battle plans, and cut away diagrams of imperial monuments.