Email me when this product is available.
Add To Cart
Number of Pages: 496
Vendor: Random House Trade
|Publication Date: 2017|
John McCain tells the stories of celebrated historical figures and lesser-known heroes whose values exemplify the best of the human spirit in Character Is Destiny. He illustrates these qualities with moving stories of triumph against the odds, hope in adversity, and sacrifices for a cause greater than self-interest. Among the heroes of exemplary character we meet are
• Pat Tillman, whose patriotism obliged him to leave the riches and celebrity of the NFL for a soldiers life in defense of his country
• Winston Churchill, who, in a renowned eighteen-word remark, counseled schoolboys to "never give up"
• the Catholic priest in Auschwitz who offered to take a condemned mans place
• a nun, formerly a comfortable Beverly Hills housewife, who works with prisoners in Mexicos worst jails
• George Washington, whose wisdom and hard-earned self-control helped him survive the chaos of war
Character Is Destiny is McCains moving and eloquent tribute to men and women who have lived truthfully, and whose stories will stir the hearts of young and old alike and help prepare us for the hard work of choosing our own destinies.
Praise for Character Is Destiny
"An eclectic collection of heroes . . . [John McCain] will be remembered in a volume like this some day."The Washington Post Book World
"Uplifting . . . inspiring . . . The lessons of these peoples lives are as relevant to adults as to children."Minneapolis Star Tribune
"McCain can surprise you, and Character Is Destiny surprises in the diversity of its cast."Houston Chronicle
"McCain has made a declaration of values that liberals can embrace as readily as conservatives."Publishers Weekly (starred review)
Senator John McCain entered the Naval Academy in June of 1954. He served in the United States Navy until 1981. He was elected to the US House of Representatives from Arizona in 1982 and to the Senate in 1986. He was the Republican Partys nominee for president in the 2008 election.
Mark Salter is the author, with John McCain, of several books, including Thirteen Soldiers and Faith of My Fathers. He served on Senator McCains staff for more than fifteen years.