Add To Cart
Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
- Carney's House Party: Learn more about Caroline "Carney" Sibley as she is home from college and looking forward to hosting a monthlong house party with all of her old and new friends.
- Winona's Pony Cart: Learn more about Betsy and Tacy's friend Winona Root, who wants nothing more for her eighth birthday than a pony.
Vendor: Harper Perennial
Dimensions: 8 X 5.3 (inches)
Carney's House Party: In the summer of 1911, Caroline "Carney" Sibley is home from college and looking forward to hosting a monthlong house party—catching up with the old Crowd, including her friend Betsy Ray, and introducing them to her Vassar classmate Isobel Porteous. Romance is in the air with the return of Carney's high school sweetheart, Larry Humphreys, for whom she's pined all these years. Will she like him as well as she once did? Or will the exasperating Sam Hutchinson turn her head?
Winona's Pony Cart: More than anything in the world, Winona Root wants a pony for her eighth birthday. Despite her father's insistence that it's out of the question, she's wishing so hard that she's sure she'll get one—at least, that's what she tells her friends Betsy, Tacy, and Tib. . . .
“There are three authors whose body of work I have reread more than once over my adult life: Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and Maud Hart Lovelace.”
“When I was growing up in the Bronx, I had lots of friends. But the girls I most enjoyed spending time with were Betsy, Tacy and Tib....in the series by Maud Hart Lovelace... - three girls full of good ideas, adventures and fun.”
“I now realize that one of the reasons I believed I could someday become a writer was because of Betsy’s own infallible confidence that she would be a writer.
“Maud Hart Lovelace and her “Betsy-Tacy” series influenced me very much when I was a girl; I identified with Betsy, who wanted to be a writer, as well as the friends’ girl-power.”
“Carney is one of my favorite characters in Betsy’s high school Crowd, and if ever a character deserved her own book, it is Caroline Sibley, that warmhearted, capable, mirthful, intelligent girl whose home is the setting of so many lively Deep Valley adventures.”
“I re-read these books every year, marveling at how a world so quaint--shirtwaists! Pompadours! Merry Widow hats!--can feature a heroine who is undeniably modern.”
“I read every one of these Betsy-Tacy-Tib books twice. I loved them as a child, as a young adult, and now, reading them with my daughter, as a mother. What a wonderful world it was!”
“Some characters become your friends for life. That’s how it was for me with Betsy-Tacy.”
“The Betsy-Tacy books were among my favorites when I was growing up.”
“I am fairly certain that my independent, high-spirited grandmother must have had a childhood similar to Betsy Ray’s…As I read..., I felt that I was having an unexpected and welcome peek into Granny’s childhood-a gift to me from Maud Hart Lovelace.”
“Family loyalty and the devotion of friends to one another, which for me are the defining characteristics of the Betsy-Tacy stories.”
“I truly consider BETSY AND TACY GO DOWNTOWN to be the finest novel in the English language! I will never love any other books as much as I love the Betsy-Tacy books.”
“I grew up 30 miles north of Mankato, and trips to town were filled with mystery and magic, because I was walking the same streets that Betsy and Tacy once walked. The Betsy-Tacy books...., more than any other books, fed my dream of becoming a writer one day.”
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Classics >> Classic Fiction
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Contemporary
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Historical
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Children's Classics
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature >> Classics
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Contemporary
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Children's Fiction >> Historical
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Classics >> Classic Fiction
- Last Chance Bargains >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books
- Last Chance Bargains >> Children
- Last Chance Bargains >> Homeschool