Buttering Parsnips, Twocking Chavs: The Secret Life Of The English Language / Digital original - eBook
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Weidenfeld & Nicolson
Publication Date: 2008
A more-ishly browsable collection of words and phrases, linguistic quirks, lexical oddities and syntactic surprises.
Our langauge is one of delight and curiosity. BUTTERING PARSNIPS, TWOCKING CHAVS is a guided tour of English, exploring the origins of words, their changing meaning, lexical peculiarities, word games and lost words, presented in lists, small passages of narrative text, amusing quotations and nuggets of amazing facts.
This must-have compendium shows that words have a matchless power to entertain. Here you will find enough new words and phrases to last a lifetime. Idioms frolic beside cliches, catchphrases, proverbs, eponyms, acronyms, spoonerisms and split infinitives. Text messages cavort alongside business jargon and rap slang to produce a language that is both witty and bizarre, and sometimes frankly outstanding.
So whether you're a yuppie or a woopie, a sinbad or dinky, a spod or even a wazzock, these pages will provide endless hours of delight and fascination.
Find Related Products▼▲
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Foreign Languages
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Other Languages
- Non-Fiction >> Foreign Languages >> Other Languages
- Non-Fiction >> History >> World History
- Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Foreign Languages
- eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History
- eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Other Languages