Add To Cart
Add To Cart
|Title: Blackwell History of the Latin Language|
By: James Clackson, Geoffrey Horrocks
Number of Pages: 336
|Publication Date: 2010|
Weight: 1 pound 1 ounce
Stock No: WW339208
- The first book in English in more than 50 years to provide comprehensive coverage of the history of the Latin language
- Gives a full account of the transformation of the language in the context of the rise and fall of Ancient Rome
- Presents up-to-date commentary on the key linguistic issues
- Makes use of carefully selected texts, many of which have only recently come to light
- Includes maps and glossary as well as fully translated and annotated sample texts that illustrate the different stages of the language
- Accessible to readers without a formal knowledge of Latin or linguistics
James Clackson is University Senior Lecturer in Classics at the University of Cambridge. He is the author of The Linguistic Relationship between Armenian and Greek (1994), Indo-European Linguistics: An Introduction (2007), as well as articles on classical and Indo-European philology.
Geoffrey Horrocks is Professor of Comparative Philology at Cambridge. He is the author of Space and Time in Homer (1981), Generative Grammar (1987), Greek: A History of the Language and its Speakers (1997), as well as of many articles on the history and structure of Greek from antiquity to the present day; he is also co-editor of Themes in Greek Linguistics (1998) and Studies in Greek Syntax (1999).
“Clackson and Horrocks have produced a wide-ranging, theoretically sophisticated, and still thoroughly manageable book that will not easily be superseded.” (New England Classical Journal, February 2009)
"James Clackson and Geoffrey Horrocks have … Succeeded admirably in their aim, presenting a mass of data within persuasive narrative." (Times Literary Supplement, December 2008)
“The…hefty Blackwell History of the Latin Language…The authors focus on the evolution of the sounds, vocabulary, word and sentence structure…over the centuries.” (Chicago Tribune)
“[The authors] set the tone … with an honesty that is … appreciated … .Marvelous treatment of … understudied languages … .Carefully, admirably, proofread … .Recommended.” (Choice)
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.