Add To Cart
Add To Cart
|Title: The Blackwell Guide to Theology and Popular Culture|
By: Kelton Cobb
Number of Pages: 354
Publication Date: 2005
|Dimensions: 9.3 X 6.48 X 1.19 (inches)|
Weight: 2 pounds
Stock No: WW5106986
- A timely examination and contribution to the rapidly expanding field of theology and popular culture
- Locates the theological analysis of culture alongside political, sociological, economic, aesthetic and psychological analyses
- Surveys the work of religious and theological scholars who have turned their attention to popular culture
- Considers classic Christian thinkers who have wrestled with culture, such as St. Paul, Tertullian, Augustine, Schleiermacher, Tillich, and Ricoeur
- Proposes a method for analysing culture to discern its religious content
- Identifies religious themes in popular culture
- Uses illustrations, ranging from the fiction of Nick Hornby to Six Feet Under
- An appendix provides lists of films, novels, television series, consumer products, architectural works, cultural events, and corporate icons that lend themselves to theological analysis.
“What makes this theologically-informed analysis so useful is Cobb's creative engagement with popular culture that is theoretically grounded in cultural studies as well as theological studies. This strikes me as a major contribution to the cultural study of religions and the theological study of cultures. ” Gary Laderman, Emory University
"There is much to commend in Cobb's book. It is well-written, it is grounded in careful scholarship (and an evident love for the subject), and it makes some very stimulating connections between theology and popular culture... The book will be particularly useful for theology students who are new to the discipline of cultural studies and will find it valuable in beginning to make connections between their existing theological knowledge and the study of popular culture." Journal of Contemporary Religion, Vol 21, No 3
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.