or checkout with
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: The Blackwell Companion to Science and Christianity - eBook|
By: J.B. Stump(Ed.) & Alan G. Padgett(Ed.)
Format: DRM Protected ePub
|Publication Date: 2012|
Stock No: WW27385EB
- Provides a cutting-edge survey of the central ideas at play at the intersection of science and Christianity through 54 original articles by world-leading scholars and rising stars in the discipline
- Focuses on Christianity's interaction with Science to offer a fine-grained analysis of issues such as multiverse theories in cosmology, convergence in evolution, Intelligent Design, natural theology, human consciousness, artificial intelligence, free will, miracles, and the Trinity, amongst many others
- Addresses major historical developments in the relationship between science and Christianity, including Christian patristics, the scientific revolution, the reception of Darwin, and twentieth century fundamentalism
- Divided into 9 Parts: Historical Episodes; Methodology; Natural Theology; Cosmology & Physics; Evolution; The Human Sciences; Christian Bioethics; Metaphysical Implications; The Mind; Theology; and Significant Figures of the 20th Century
- Includes diverse perspectives and broadens the conversation from the Anglocentric tradition
J.B. Stump is Professor of Philosophy and directs the philosophy program at Bethel College (Indiana, USA). He is the philosophy editor of Christian Scholar’s Review, and has published articles there as well as in Studies in History and Philosophy of Science and Philosophia Christi. He has co-authored (with Chad Meister) Christian Thought: A Historical Introduction (2010).
Alan G. Padgett is Professor of Systematic Theology at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. Long involved in the dialogue between theology and science, he is a member of the International Society for Science and Religion (ISSR) and has lectured in Europe, Canada, the US and China on religion and theology. He has authored or edited 10 other books, including Science and the Study of God (2003).
"The Blackwell Companions are a well-known and prestigious series that always form an up-to-date and high-quality entry to a certain academic domain ... My appreciation prevails and I believe this book really offers a most worthy introduction to the issue of science-Christianity relations. Congratulations to Stump and Padgett for putting together this valu­able collection of well-written essays." (Philosophia Reformata, 1 November 2015)
"As I said at the outset, this Blackwell Companion has proved itself to be an indispensable companion to me as I try to set out the current shape of the field for the third generation, but I cannot help but wonder how different such a volume will look in their time." (Modern Believing, 1 January 2014)
"The result is a fascinating, rich collection of fifty-four essays grouped into eleven major sections . . . To sum up, this volume nicely complements other recent works in the ongoing interaction between science and religion. Students and teachers in the field will find this volume an accessible, reliable, and up-to-date resource for the contemporary discourse between science and Christianity." (Themelios, 1 April 2013)
"For those who have such a background, this book will be a valuable asset for orienting themselves in the broader conversation." (Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith, 1 March 2013)
"Summing Up: Recommended. Upper-division undergraduates through researchers/faculty." (Choice, 1 December 2012)
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics >> Natural Law & Natural Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Science >> Scientific Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Science
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Science
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Science
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Ethics
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Science
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Science
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.