or checkout with
Beyond Secular Order: The Representation of Being and the Representation of the People - eBook
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: Beyond Secular Order: The Representation of Being and the Representation of the People - eBook|
By: John Milbank
Format: DRM Protected ePub
Publication Date: 2013
Series: Illuminations: Theory & Religion
Stock No: WW93744EB
Beyond Secular Order is the first of a two-volume work that expands upon renowned theologian John Milbank’s innovative attempt to understand both theology and modern thought begun in his previously published classic text Theology and Social Theory.
- Continues Milbank’s innovative attempt to understand both theology and modern thought begun in Theology and Social Theory – considered a classic work in the development of systematic theology
- Authored by one of the world’s most influential and highly regarded contemporary theologians
- Draws on a sweep of ideas and thinkers to argue that modern secularism is a form of Christian heresy that developed from the Middle Ages and can only be overcome by a renewed account of Christendom
- Shows how this heresy can be transformed into a richer blend of religion, modernity and politics
- Reveals how there is a fundamental homology between modern ideas about ontology and knowledge and modern ideas about political action, expressed in both theory and practice
John Milbank is Professor of Religion, Politics and Ethics at the University of Nottingham, where he also directs the Centre of Theology and Philosophy. Considered one of the leading contemporary theologians, Milbank first gained international recognition with Theology and Social Theory (1990), which laid the theoretical foundations for the movement which later became known as Radical Orthodoxy. In recent years he has collaborated on three books with Creston Davis and the controversial philosopher Slavoj ?i?ek: Theology and the Political: The New Debate (2005), The Monstrosity of Christ: Paradox or Dialectic (2009), and Paul’s New Moment: Continental Philosophy and the Future of Christian Theology (2010).
"Readers familiar with Milbanks work will appreciate his focused prose while extensive footnotes referencing his previous work provide background information for others." (Religious Studies Review, 7 December 2015)
"...Interesting, creative, suggestive, and beguiling… [Milbank] is fearless in his cross-examination of modern secularist assumptions about the autonomy of philosophy and its much-heralded liberation from theologys apron strings." (Church Times, 24 August 2015)"Such a vision is partial and imperfect, but its a signpost that, as we continue to watch modern metaphysics and politics develop, will be an important critical and constructive dialogue partner for a long time to come." (Mockingbird, 14 February 2014)
"Here, in Beyond Secular Order, he offers a more concise systematic analysis focusing on the ontological and political dimensions of modernity. He lays bare the deep connections between metaphysical assumptions, on the one hand, and political and social implications, on the other." (SOPHIA 2015)
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology >> Philosophy of Religion
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.