- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: 2006
John Perry graduated cum laude from Vanderbilt University, with additional studies at University College, Oxford, England. Before beginning his career as an author in 1997, he was an award-winning advertising copywriter and radio producer. John has published 21 books as an author, collaborator, or ghostwriter. He is the biographer of Sgt. Alvin York, Mary Custis Lee (wife of Robert E. Lee and great granddaughter of Martha Washington), and George Washington Carver. Among other books, he has also written about the 1925 Scopes monkey trial (Monkey Business, with Marvin Olasky, B&H Publishing, 2005) and contemporary prison reform (God Behind Bars, Thomas Nelson, 2006). He is a two-time Gold Medallion finalist and Lincoln Prize nominee. He lives in Nashville.
In God Behind Bars: The Inspiring Story of Prison Fellowship, John Perry opens with some general information about Americas prison system, along with a concise review of the Watergate story and the circumstances that resulted in Colsons prison time. Colson became a Christian before his sentence started, and while behind bars he was able to minister to his fellow inmates. Following his release after five months, Colson eventually felt God calling him into full-time prison ministry, and the path to establishing Prison Fellowship began to unfold.
During its 30-year history, Prison Fellowship has experienced tremendous growth while demonstrating its willingness to try new programs and concepts. Some blossomed and prospered for a brief time, and then were ended or channeled into new directions. Others saw rapid and sustained growth. Early discipleship seminars were only able to accommodate 12 prisoners, but the organization soon began developing programs that were able to reach more prisoners, both inside the prison and outside the walls.
Today, Prison Fellowships ministries, bolstered by thousands of volunteers, reach around the world, and include full-time in-prison facilities that disciple inmates 24 hours a day. Perry does an excellent job of covering the high points, and he does not try to gloss over the low points, such as leadership issues and money concerns. But in doing so, he shows that Prison Fellowship is not the result of the work of a celebrity politician, but the ongoing work of Gods grace and sovereignty. Jeff Friend, Christian Book Previews.com
Jake5 Stars Out Of 5God Behind BarsNovember 26, 2016JakeQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Very good biography of Chuck Colson as well as the "Prison Fellowship" group. More people need to know of one of their projects which is "Angel Tree". A program which reaches out to children of an incarcerated parent at Christmas with a gift and the message of the birth of our Savior, "Jesus Christ."
It is very difficult to bring about change in the prison system and this book takes you into the prisons detailing the barriers that volunteers still face today. 220 pages and can be read in a couple of days.
Julie Liddle5 Stars Out Of 5September 14, 2008Julie LiddleWhat an eye opening view of prison life and how today's prisons don't lead to reform and rehabilitation except in those few prisons where Prison Fellowship Ministries has been integrated. What an awesome ministry! I highly recommend this book to anyone dealing with a loved one behind bars. My husband is an innocent man serving time. He has been able to lead many inmates as well as guards to the Lord. This book really helped us view his unjust conviction as a way for God to use him in ministry to reach these hurting, broken men in way he couldn't have before. Whether your loved one is innocent or guilty, they will receive a lot of encouragement from this book and be ministered to greatly.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions >> Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral >> Evangelism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral >> Missions
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions >> Biography
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Evangelism
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Missions Evangelism & Apologetics >> Missions
- Download >> eBooks >> Biography >> Missionary Biography
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction