For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts - eBook
Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
* This product is available for purchase worldwide.
The problem is obvious: at worst, Christians are hostile to the arts as inimical to the church and to our faith; at best, Christians recognize the value of the arts but do little to cultivate it in their lives and when they do it is often in reactionary fashion to "secular" art. Well known authors Eugene Peterson, Lauren Winner, Jeremy Begbie, Andy Crouch, John Witvliet, and others, believe that this can be changed. In For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts, set out their ideas on the ways in which churches can appropriate art into their community and how they can minister to artists. The main problem seems to be that while many churches would welcome the arts, it is not altogether clear where it might lead them. That is the goal of this book, not to merely bring art in, but to find out how to minister artists and the art community in such a way that leads them to fullness and maturity in art. Thus, this book offers an extended reflection on art in the church, that is "the gathered community in its local manifestation and in its varied functions, such as worship, discipleship, community, service, and mission. This book will make an excellent read for any church that is struggling to incorporate the arts and artists into their community. It will also make a great read for artists who often find it difficult to live in the church community. It would make an especially good text book for young Christian artists who are studying the arts in college.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Baker Books
Publication Date: 2010
Be the first to write a review!
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Aesthetics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Practical Theology >> Worship
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Worship >> Service Planning
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Aesthetics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Theology >> Practical Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Aesthetics
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Theology >> Practical Theology
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Worship