Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: Battle of Lake Erie and Its Aftermath: A Reassessment - eBook|
By: David Curtis Skaggs
Format: DRM Protected ePub
Vendor: Kent State University Press
|Publication Date: 2012|
Stock No: WW44912EB
Few naval battles in American history have left a more enduring impression on Americas national consciousness than the Battle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1813. Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perrys battle flag emblazoned with the message Dont Give Up the Ship, now enshrined at the U.S. Naval Academy, has become a naval maxim. His succinct after-action reportWe have met the enemy and they are oursconstitutes one of the more memorable battle summaries in American history.
This splendid collection celebrates the bicentennial of the American victory with a review of the battle and its consequences. The volume is divided into three sections. The first deals with Military Operations in the upper Great Lakes, 181214, and provides an overview of the War of 1812 in the Old Northwest and western Upper Canada. The second, Consequences, assesses the long-term impact of this campaign upon the Native Americans and Euro-Americans who lived in the region and three individuals whose lives were changed by the American recovery of the upper lakes in 1813. The final section, Memory, examines two ways the United States keeps the legacy of its first squadron-to-squadron victory alive by maintaining the fragile battle flag that flew on Perrys flagships and by sailing the replica of US Brig Niagara on the Great Lakes and the East Coast.
Collectively these essays allow the general reader, the military history enthusiast, and the professional historian to take a fresh look at this significant naval engagement and its impact on subsequent historical events.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> History >> Military History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> History >> US History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History
- Download >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> History
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> History >> History Subjects >> American History
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.