Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: Banker To The Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty - eBook|
By: Muhammad Yunus
Format: DRM Protected ePub
|Publication Date: 2007|
Stock No: WW91764EB
Muhammad Yunus was a professor of economics in Bangladesh, who realized that the most impoverished members of his community were systematically neglected by the banking system -- no one would loan them any money. Yunus conceived of a new form of banking -- microcredit -- that would offer very small loans to the poorest people without collateral, and teach them how to manage and use their loans to create successful small businesses. He founded Grameen Bank based on the belief that credit is a basic human right, not the privilege of a fortunate few, and it now provides $24 billion of micro-loans to more than nine million families. Ninety-seven percent of its clients are women, and repayment rates are over 90 percent. Outside of Bangladesh, micro-lending programs inspired by Grameen have blossomed, and serve hundreds of millions of people around the world.
The definitive history of micro-credit direct from the man that conceived of it, Banker to the Poor is the moving story of someone who dreamed of changing the world -- and did.
"[Yunus's] ideas have already had a great impact on the Third World, and ... hearing his appeal for a 'poverty-free world' from the source itself can be as stirring as that all-American myth of bootstrap success."Washington Post
"I only wish every nation shared Dr. Yunus's and the Grameen Bank's appreciation of the vital role that women play in the economic, social, and political life of our societies."Hillary Clinton
"Muhammad Yunus is a practical visionary who has improved the lives of millions of people in his native Bangladesh and elsewhere in the world. Banker to the Poor [is] well-reasoned yet passionate."Los Angeles Times
"A fascinating and compelling account by someone who decided to make a difference, and did."CHOICE
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events >> World Events
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Economics
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Economics
- Download >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Current Events
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Economics
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> Civics & Government >> Current Events
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> Civics & Government >> Economics
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.