Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words - eBook|
By: Anu Garg, David Cashion
Format: DRM Protected ePub
|Publication Date: 2007|
Stock No: WW47391EB
A collection of some of the most interesting stories and fascinating origins behind more than 300 words, names, and terms by the founder of WordSmith.org.
Did you know:
There’s a word for the pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell? Petrichor, combining petros (Greek for stone) and ichor (the fluid that flows in the veins of Greek gods).
An illeist is one who refers to oneself in the third person.
There’s a word for feigning lack of interest in something while actually desiring it: accismus.
For any aspiring deipnosophist (a good conversationalist at meals) or devoted Philomath (a lover of learning), this anthology of entertaining etymology is an ideal way to have fun while getting smarter.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Reference Works >> Specialized References
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Reference Works
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Reference Works
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.