- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- US States▼▲
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Resource Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
Get everything you can out of your time reading the classics!
Leland Ryken provides a clear pathway to understanding the "Great Works" through this engaging series of short guidebooks. Beginning with "why the classics matter" and "the nature and function of literature," readers will find a helpful path to reading and analyzing influential works in the Western canon. Evaluating the text from a distinctly Christian perspective, this guide to Augustine's Confessions includes a summary, commentary, and contextual notes on various elements in the chapter.
Christian Guide to the Classics books provide:
- An introduction to the author and work
- An explanation of the cultural context
- Incorporated published criticism
- Definitions of key literary terms
- Discussion questions
- Resources for further study
79 pages, softcover. High School-Adult.
|Format: DRM Free ePub|
Publication Date: 2015
Series: Christian Guides to the Classics
Weve all heard about the classics and assume theyre great. Some of us have even read them on our own. But for those of us who remain a bit intimidated or simply want to get more out of our reading, Crossways Christian Guides to the Classics are here to help.
In these short guidebooks, popular professor, author, and literary expert Leland Ryken takes you through some of the greatest literature in history while answering your questions along the way.
- Includes an introduction to the author and work
- Explains the cultural context
- Incorporates published criticism
- Defines key literary terms
- Contains discussion questions at the end of each unit of the text
- Lists resources for further study
- Evaluates the classic text from a Christian worldview
This volume guides readers through Augustines classic spiritual autobiography, the Confessions, exploring the books historical context, key themes, and overarching message.
Leland Ryken (PhD, University of Oregon) served as professor of English at Wheaton College for more than 43 years. He has authored or edited more than three dozen books, including The Word of God in English, The Complete Literary Guide to the Bible, The ESV Literary Study Bible, and A Complete Handbook of Literary Forms in the Bible. He is a frequent speaker at the Evangelical Theological Society and served as literary stylist for the English Standard Version.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Language Arts
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Download >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Subjects
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Non-Fiction >> Language Arts
- Homeschool >> Subjects >> Language Arts >> Literature >> Literature Study Guides
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download