Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 160
|Dimensions: 9 X 6 (inches)|
The Richness of Augustine: His Contextual & Pastoral TheologyMark EllingsenWestminster John Knox Press / 2005 / Trade Paperback$17.99 Retail:
$30.00Save 40% ($12.01)
- Explores new insights into one of antiquity’s most important philosophers
- Topics Include: skepticism, language acquisition, mind-body dualism, philosophical dream problems, time and creation, faith and reason, foreknowledge and free will, and Augustine’s standing as a ‘Socratic philosopher’.
Herein, the author explores new insights into one of antiquity's most important philosophers. He discusses topics that include: skepticism, language acquisition, mind-body dualism, philosophical dream problems, time and creation, faith and reason, foreknowledge and free will, and Augustine's standing as a 'Socratic philosopher'.
Sarah Byers, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
“Matthews is one of the world’s leading authorities – perhaps the leading authority – on Augustine the philosopher. In this book, he provides a series of vignettes of Augustine in philosophical action: arguing against the skeptics, worrying about the nature of time, trying to dissipate the tensions between foreknowledge and free will, and trying to figure out what counts as a lie. There is no one better equipped to spot these issues and subject them to sensitive, sympathetic, yet critical analysis.”
William Mann, University of Vermont
“Matthews’s beautifully clear voice, penetrating eye, and delicate touch bring Augustine’s puzzles and arguments vividly to life for twenty-first-century readers. While there is no better general introduction to Augustine’s philosophical ideas, Matthews’s Augustine holds treasures for scholars and specialists as well.”
Scott MacDonald, Cornell University.
"Matthews style throughout the book is very easy to read. He includes many lengthy quotations whether this be Augustine, Hume, or Zeno... This is a very good book. It will prove useful for all graduate and post-graduate students, as well as any armchair philosopher and theologian!"
Find Related Products▼▲
- Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Systematic Theology Theologians >> Augustine
- Books >> Biography >> Historical Figures
- Books >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Church Fathers
- Books >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Systematic Theology Theologians >> Augustine