"An apple for the road" is REALLY an encouraging and inspiring book. I like it because of:
- variety of subjects it deals with that are common to every believer.
- practical, experience-based, full of Godly advice stories. It's not just sharing personal stories but they interlink with the truths and verses taken from the Bible. I needed a book from the Bethel team that would show more detailed life experiences but I also appreciate it that you preserve (mostly) the balance between the subjective experiences and the Word of God - I mean not only theologically, but the style of giving the testimonies: not just reporting the events and experiences but also sharing God's wisdom, advice and authors' personal encouragement to the reader. It's awesome. It's practical, understandable, aplicable. And it works! I started to pursue God and ask for more at once and got my little personal revival!
There were some passages (especially in the first part) that I read almost breathless, longing to have such an experience too for myself. They are really Holy Spirit inspired; they arouse the hunger for more of God and real encounters with God. My, I really liked them!
- The final chapter by Bill Johnson is a magnificent idea. Like a delicious, healthy dessert after a good meal. The wisdom of this man of God astounds me - I'm glad a couple of his books have been released in Poland recently.
- I also like the honesty and sincerity of the authors. I do bless them for it! In the "Bethel culture" their spiritual experiences are accepted and normal but being saved for over 20 years all I was taught was "no sensations, feelings, spiritual encounters and the like". Believers in Poland (and wherever the same phobias were forced) have been robbed of magnificent encounters with the Holy Spirit. I hope the book "An apple for the road" will open the eyes of some true seekers of God's presence. Now being a pastor myself, I try to encourage others to re-think their attitudes toward the supernatural presence and acts of the Holy Spirit.
- I must also say that I like the language of the book. It makes no difficulty for a foreigner to read and appreciate it. :-) No bombastic words, elaborate sentences, examples and comparisons too difficult to understand. The book is written in what we call here Ã¢â¬Ëthe international English' - and that means that an international reader can understand that English book ;-)
- the only minus I found is in the second part of the book - I didn't like the repetitions and tedious passages. The authors might have used their stories in a better way for sharing more objective advice and wisdom from the Word of God as the other authors did.
But as a whole, 'An apple for the road" is a pleasantly written, tremendously inspiring and really life changing book.
I received this ebook from the publisher through Destiny Image Book Review program.
An Honest Transparent Glimpse into Loving God, Loving Others, and Living Life
Pam Spinosi has compiled engaging stories from members of the staff of Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry of Redding, California. These stories reflect honest and transparent glimpses into their lives and their passion for God. The authentic testimonies provide the reader with examples of, impartation, preaching, healing, and prophecy.
The book is divided into three parts: Loving God, Loving Others, and Living Life. Each author shares a specific aspect from one of these themes. I was captivated by the realization of the many different ways God uses to manifest himself to us as unique individuals. There are heartwarming testimonies of victories won, and of heartbreaking testimonies of disappointments experienced while learning lessons in God's perfect timing. I was touched by the hunger expressed for knowing the "manifest presence of God," and for a deeper connection with the Holy Spirit.
I gained new insights in the scriptural dynamics of human relationships, our identity in the father's love, and of enjoying friendship with the Holy Spirit. I identified with the longing to find the meaning of true intimacy with God while cultivating a lifestyle pleasing to him.
If you are looking for answers to the questions: Why am I here? Or "What should I do? you will find guidance, meaningful answers, and practical suggestions for life in the wisdom found in "An Apple for the Road." Highly recommended.
A complimentary copy of this book was provided for review purposes. The opinions expressed are my own.