The Signet Classics edition of the tragedy that features one of Shakespeare's greatest female characters.
A magnificent drama of passion and war, this riveting play presents the complicated relationship between the seductive, cunning Egyptian queen Cleopatra and the Roman leader Mark Antony, a man torn between an empire and love.
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
• An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
• A special introduction to the play by the editor, Sylvan Barnet
• A selection from Plutarch's Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans, the source from which Shakespeare derived Antony and Cleopatra
• Dramatic criticism from Samuel Johnson, A. C. Bradley, John F. Danby, and others
• A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
• Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
• And more...