Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
Critical, informed reading doesn't come naturally. Read with the Best: American Literature Volume II features excerpts from works of great American literature from the years 1860-1950 along with engaging activities that provide continual practice of critical thinking, reading, vocabulary, literary, and writing skills, teaching students to truly think and thoughtfully engage with what they're reading.
This volume focuses on the literary analysis and critical reading skills required for the new SAT, AP Literature exams, and in college level classes. Instruction on SAT/ACT vocabulary words and on the five-paragraph essay is integrated throughout as test preparation. This book includes 34 weeks of critical reading with weeks 35 and 36 open for review and testing. Authors covered include Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, Booker T. Washington, Stephen Crane, Willa Cather, James Weldon Johnson, Langton Hughes, Arthur Miller, Thornton Wilder, and others.
Each week's lessons include five to six different areas:
- "Background Checks" about the author
- "Words to Know" that need to be defined
- "Literary Analysis" that covers literary terms that are tested every 6 weeks
- "Critical Reading" sections includes questions about each passage
- "Make it Real" applies learned skills to what students already know
- "Culminating Activities" that are given at the end of the week to help students master lessons.
- "Writing Assignments" that are given every two weeks and related to literary passages and authors; a research paper is given for the last half of the year.
Word lists, tips for students with different learning styles, and other helps are included. 254 pages, softcover. Grades 8-12. This Volume II course is designed to take one year; together with the sold-separately Read with the Best: American Literature Volume I 1500-1860 it would become a two-year course.
List of Required Materials that will need to be obtained independently:
- The Norton Anthology of American Literature -2008 Shorter 7th Edition ONLY (ISBN 978-0393930573)
- Write with the Best, Vol. 2
- The New American Heritage Dictionary and Thesaurus or Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Writing a Research Paper-A Step-by-Step Approach, Newest Edition
- Writing a Research Paper Teacher's Edition
- The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
- The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller
- Our Town by Thornton Wilder
Vendor: Diagnostic Prescriptive
Publication Date: 2014
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
We offer thousands of quality curricula, workbooks, and references to meet your homeschooling needs. To assist you in your choices, we have included the following symbol next to those materials that specifically reflect a Christian worldview.
If you have any questions about specific products, our knowledgeable Homeschool Specialists will be glad to help you. Just call us at 1-800-CHRISTIAN.