Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: Agnes Grey - eBook|
By: Anne Bronte
Format: DRM Protected ePub
Vendor: HarperPerennial Classics
|Publication Date: 2012|
Stock No: WW70086EB
Anne Brontë's first published novel, Agnes Grey tells the story of one woman's search for love and happiness within the boundaries of pre-Victorian society. Forced by her familys declining circumstances to find employment, Agnes Grey takes the only position open to hergoverness within a wealthy familyand faces hardships that challenge the boundaries of her experience.
Published under the pseudonym Acton Bell, Agnes Grey is based on Anne Brontë's own time as a governess and her experience with the shallowness of the upper class as well as the oppression and abuse of women in powerless positions.
HarperPerennial Classics brings great works of literature to life in digital form, upholding the highest standards in ebook production and celebrating reading in all its forms. Look for more titles in the HarperPerennial Classics collection to build your digital library.
English novelist and poet Anne Brontë was the youngest, and least recognized, member of the Brontë literary family. She wrote a volume of poetry with her sisters, Charlotte and Emily, before publishing two novels under the name Acton Bell. Brontë achieved modest success with her first novel, Agnes Grey, which was based on her time working as a governess, but her second novel, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was a triumph, selling out in just six weeks. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is also considered one of the first feminist novels, with depictions of alcoholism and immorality that were profoundly disturbing in the 19th century. Brontë died of tuberculosis in 1849 at the age of 29. Collectively, the Brontë sisters’ novels are considered literary standards that continue to influence modern writers.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction >> British
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Fiction >> Literature >> British
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Homeschool
- Download >> Homeschool >> Supplemental
- Download >> Homeschool >> Type
- Download >> eBooks >> Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Supplemental
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool >> Type
- Homeschool >> Supplemental >> Books & Classic Literature
- Homeschool >> Type >> Download