Email me when this product is available.
Email me when this product is available.
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Publication Date: 2019
Genesis | Exodus | Proverbs | Hebrews | Joshua | Psalms |John Romans | Deuteronomy | Habakkuk | Acts
This fall, our lessons focus on God, what it means that we are created in God's image, and what it means to worship God alone. The writer of the student book lessons is Clara Welch; the teacher book writer is Stan Purdum.
God, the Creator
This unit takes us through texts that help us discern what "Godness" is. The readings from Genesis present the Lord as the divine initiator of the cosmos and as the creator of humankind. The Exodus text reminds us that God is not limited to what we can know of or imagine about God, and that mystery remains part of God's nature. In Lesson 4, we learn about Wisdom as an essential part of who God is. And Lesson 5, invites us to consider Christ's role with God in the world's creation. These lessons encourage us to develop the spiritual practice of mindfulness.
In God's Image
This unit focuses on the human condition. Lesson 6 recalls the story of the sin of Achan, reminding us of the chasm sin imposes between ourselves and our Creator. Lesson 7 takes us to Psalm 51, which is a prayer that models the nature of penitence that asks God to bridge the breach caused by sin. Lesson 8 lets us hear Jesus talking about being born anew and how that provides entry into the kingdom of God. Lesson 9 takes us to a text in Romans, which enables us to consider what the redeemed life looks like. These lessons help us focus on the spiritual practice of confession.
This unit unites around the theme "objects of worship," with "objects" meaning not worship aids, such as candles and paraments, but those things we place ahead of God. In Lesson 10, we look at the first two of the Ten Commandments. Lesson 11 takes us to the story of the gold calf and gives us a chance to think about why we may deliberately choose to worship that which is not God. Lesson 12 reminds us that nothing we worship other than God can impart life. And Lesson 13 invites us to understand that the worship impulse is only satisfied when it is directed toward God. These lessons lead us deeper into the spiritual practice of worship.
- A comprehensive Bible study plan with more flexibility in terms of Scripture selection and topics.
- Additional information, as well as suggestions, designed to help leaders and facilitators lead with confidence.
- Observation of the church seasons, including Advent and Lent.
- Suggestions for developing spiritual practices (prayer, confession, worship, mindfulness, solitude, community, hospitality, neighboring, service, and celebration).
- One font size in the student edition to accommodate all readers.
- No printed Scripture text allowing you to choose your own Bible translation.
Visit AdultBibleStudies.com and sign up for the FREE weekly newsletter to automatically receive the FREE Current Events Supplement and other information about these resources and more!
Stan Purdum served as a full-time parish minister in Ohio for a number of years and retired recently after serving part-time as a pastor. He also works as a freelance writer and editor. He holds an education degree from Youngstown State University, a master of divinity from Methodist Theological School in Ohio, and a doctorate in ministry from Drew University.
Long an avid bicycle tourist, Stan has ridden several long-distance bike trips, including a cross-nation ride recounted in his book Roll Around Heaven All Day and a trek that covered the entire length of US Route 62 (from Niagara Falls, New York, to El Paso, Texas), the subject of his book Playing in Traffic. Stan is also the author of New Mercies I See, which is a collection of stories about Gods grace, and He Walked in Galilee, a study book on the ministry of Jesus. He writes regularly for Adult Bible Studies and Daily Bible Study.
Stan and his wife, Jeanine, live in South Bound Brook, New Jersey. They have three grown children.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Download >> eBooks
- Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Leader's Guides >> Christian Living Guides
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Christian Living Guides >> Discipleship & Growth
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Sunday School >> Fall
- Download >> eBooks >> Bible Studies & Curriculum >> Christian Living Guides
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Sunday School
- Pre-Order >> Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Pre-Order >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Church & Pastoral
- Pre-Order >> Download