or checkout with
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: A Stay Against Confusion - eBook|
By: Ron Hansen
Format: DRM Protected ePub
|Publication Date: 2014|
Stock No: WW69683EB
“Erudite and meditative, A Stay Against Confusion. . . depicts a profound, complex spirituality. . . brims with intelligence, passion and conviction.” —San Francisco Chronicle
In this vivid and deeply felt collection of essays, Ron Hansen talks about his novels, childhood, family, and mentors such as John Gardner. He explores prayer, stigmata, twentieth-century martyrs, and the Eucharist. A profile of his grandfather, a "tough-as-nails, brook-no-guff Colorado rancher," finds a place alongside a wonderfully informative portrait of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. A brilliant reading of a story by Leo Tolstoy follows an appreciation of the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins.
Surprisingly intimate, A Stay Against Confusion brings together the literary and religious impulses that inform the life of one of our most gifted fiction writers.
Ron Hansen is the bestselling author of the novel Atticus (a finalist for the National Book Award), Hitler's Niece, Mariette in Ecstasy, Desperadoes, and Isn't It Romantic?, as well as a collection of short stories, a collection of essays, and a book for children. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award. Ron Hansen lives in northern California, where he teaches at Santa Clara University.
“Erudite and meditative, A Stay Against Confusion…depicts a profound, complex spirituality…brims with intelligence, passion and conviction.” — San Francisco Chronicle
"Refreshing and enlightening … only rarely does any writer explain himself so clearly and so courageously." — Los Angeles Times
“Wise and searching.” — Wall Street Journal
“A book that shines as a consequence of an accomplished writer’s deeply felt (and understood) moral and spiritual energy.” — Robert Coles, author of Lives of Moral Leadership
"Rich, eloquent and thoughtful. . . . This is a deeply satisfying read." — Publishers Weekly
"Clean prose. . . . Striking ideas." — Kirkus
"This vital new collection of essays. . . is a generous benefaction. . . fascinating. . . courageous." — Rick Moody, Book Forum
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Catholicism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Spiritual/Mystical Writings
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Catholic
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Catholicism
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Spiritual/Mystical Writings
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Church History
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Catholic
- Download >> eBooks >> Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions
- Download >> eBooks >> Catholic >> Church History
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.