Add To Cart
Add To Cart
It is comparatively easy to preach joy and fervor, but to demand Truth is like shaping marble without tools. And so [the Kotzker] went looking for a few surging people and called loudly upon their souls to bend their conceit and see the Truth beneath the soil.
This was not a philosophical inquiry into the nature of Truth but a scrutiny of men's lives in relation to Truth. Religion, the Kotzker maintained, was not simply an act of adopting a system of beliefs and certain modes of conduct; test and trial were needed, and one had to ascertain through introspection whether one's beliefs were genuine or not, and whether one acted out Truth or lived a life of pretense.
Kierkegaard made it his task "to reintroduce Christianity into Christendom." The Kotzker sought to reintroduce authenticity to Jewish life. Kierkegaard's posthumous impact has been powerful. But has the Kotzker affected Jewish self-understanding?
-from A Passion for Truth
|Title: A Passion for Truth|
By: Abraham Joshua Heschel
Number of Pages: 336
Vendor: Jewish Lights Publishing
Publication Date: 1995
|Dimensions: 8 1/4 X 5 1/2 X 1 (inches)|
Weight: 1 pound
Stock No: WW45419
Wall Street Journal
Probably the best book on Hasidism to appear in the English language.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Philosophy >> Philosophers >> Enlightenment Philosophers
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Philosophy >> Philosophy & Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Philosophy & Theology >> Philosophical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Theologians
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> World Religions >> Judaism
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.