Add To Cart
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Usher in Christmas with this sweet interpretation of Jesus' birth! Capturing the wonder and awe of that holy night, Mary Englebreit tells the delightful story of the nativity through the performance of a children's pageant. Her simple text and adorable illustrations will charm your kids as you cuddle up on the couch on a crisp winter evening! 32 pages, hardcover from Zonderkidz.
Number of Pages: 32
Publication Date: 2016
Mary Engelbreit's Color ME Christmas Coloring BookMary EngelbreitHarperCollins / 2016 / Trade Paperback$7.99 Retail:
$15.99Save 50% ($8.00)Availability: In StockStock No: WW562609
Mary Engelbreit presents A Night of Great Joy, a delightful picture book that celebrates the joyful season of Christmas. This book tells the story of the nativity through the performance of a childrens Christmas pageant. With adorable illustrations and simple storytelling, Engelbreit paints a wonderful picture of the night that Jesus was born.
A Night of Great Joy recalls that fateful night with wonder and awe. From the arrival of Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem to the gathering of many before the baby Jesus, this holiday treasure leads children through the tale of the birth of Jesus, guiding them with the star of Bethlehem.
Mary Engelbreit, New York Times bestselling illustrator of the blockbuster Christmas classic The Night Before Christmas, brings readers a new holiday picture book thats sure to become a family favorite.
Mary Engelbreit grew up studying the illustrations in the vintage storybooks of her mothers own childhood, and she developed a unique style that harkens back to those simpler times. Marys distinctive images have made her a celebrity to millions, who eagerly snap up gift items, calendars, books, fabrics, and more. Marys dearest wish has always been to illustrate for children. Her New York Times bestselling The Night Before Christmas is already part of the holiday tradition for families across the country.
A classic Sunday School Christmas pageant is acted out by a multiethnic cast of children in this Christmas offering in Englebreit's signature illustration style.The pageant begins with a little black girl as an angel reading the passage from Luke that announces that Jesus has been born. The text describes the traditional Nativity story as though a narrator were reading it, with the child performers coming on stage in costume as the story progresses. Mary is an Asian girl, and Joseph is a white boy with red hair and a fake brown beard. One of the wise men is black, and a chorus of angels includes several children of color. The children are dressed in charming costumes with appropriate details, and there are funny little incidents tucked into the illustrations, such as two shepherd girls playing tug of war with a toy sheep and a tiny cow asleep on stage at the conclusion. The girl playing the part of Mary uses a rag doll for baby Jesus, and the final page shows Mary hugging her doll tenderly under the shining star. Though almost every Christian Sunday school puts on a Christmas pageant, there are few picture books that cover this annual holiday event, especially titles accessible to preschoolers. Children preparing to be in a pageant will enjoy this, as will Engelbreit's many adult fans. (Picture book. 3-6)
An elementary-school Christmas pageant plays out with warm humor in Engelbreits (The Night Before Christmas) holiday offering. The authors cherubic characters perform the Nativity story using rudimentary props that will trigger smiles: a robed Joseph with a comically fake beard pulls Mary in a red wagon outfitted with a donkey head, a rocking horse and a rubber duck keep watch in the stable, the newborn Jesus is a rag doll, and stuffed animals fill in for sheep. The narrative is a straightforward, pared-down version of the biblical tale, without dialogue, which leaves the pictures to showcase the childrens personalities (two shepherds fight over a toy lamb, a prima donnas antics irk her fellow angels, and a costumed cow falls asleep as the Wise Men arrive). The Nativity tale is one of great things born out of humble circumstances, a theme that dovetails perfectly with the homespun staging of the childrens production. Starred review on 10/1/16.
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Bible Related >> Picture Books
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Picture Books >> Bible Related
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Picture Books >> Seasonal
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Seasonal >> Picture Books
- Christmas Clearance >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books
- Christmas Clearance >> Christmas >> Children
- Christmas Clearance >> Kids & Toys >> Children's Books
- Christmas Clearance >> Last Chance Bargains >> Books, eBooks & Audio
- Christmas Clearance >> Last Chance Bargains >> Children
- Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Bible Related
- Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Picture Books
- Christmas >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books >> Seasonal
- Christmas >> Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Bible Related
- Christmas >> Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Picture Books
- Christmas >> Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Seasonal
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Bible Related >> Picture Books
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Picture Books >> Bible Related
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Picture Books >> Seasonal
- Kids & Toys >> Children's Books >> Seasonal >> Picture Books
- Last Chance Bargains >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Children's Books
- Last Chance Bargains >> Children