Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Books, eBooks & Audio
- Church & Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Gift & Home
- Kids & Toys
- Last Chance Bargains
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Streaming Video
- Spring Cyber Sale
- Sunday School
- Buy in Bulk
Wonderfully suited for devotional or thematic study as well as sermon illustration, this resource offers a window into the world of the early church and affords a special opportunity to examine topically the thoughts of men like Clement of Rome, Ignatius, and Polycarp, who were students of the original apostles, as well as the thoughts of other great lights in the life of the early church such as Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and Tertullian. For anyone interested in historic Christianity, this book cannot be overlooked. This book features:
- Relevant comments on key Christian concepts from prominent figures such as Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Clement of Rome, and Hippolytus
- Key biblical verses associated with each topic
- Brief definitions of unfamiliar terms or concepts
- A "Who's Who" of Ante-Nicene Christianity to put in context the ancient Christian writers
- Discussion of more than 700 key theological, moral, and historical topics
- Strategic cross-references to related topics
- A topical index to the writings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers
Number of Pages: 720
Vendor: Hendrickson Publishers
Publication Date: 1998
|Dimensions: 9.25 X 6.12 (inches)|
The Early Church: The Penguin History of the Church, Volume 1Henry ChadwickPenguin Random House / 1993 / Trade Paperback$13.49 Retail:
$18.00Save 25% ($4.51)
• Collects relevant comments on key Christian concepts from prominent figures such as Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Clement of Rome, and Hippolytus.
• Includes key biblical verses associated with a given topic.
• Offers brief definitions of unfamiliar terms or concepts, allowing easy access to the ancient material.
• Provides a "Who's Who" of ante-Nicene Christianity to put in context the ancient Christian writers.
• Discusses more than 700 key theological, moral, and historical topics.
• Gives strategic cross-reverences to related topics.
• Functions as a topical index to the writings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers.
"At times sermons and books refer to the beliefs and writings of early Christian leaders, and this dictionary is a compilation of those, arranged according to more than seven hundred topics. What did Clement of Alexandria say about abortion? What did Irenaeus note concerning the priesthood of the believer? How did Justin Martyr view the matter of divorce? Needless to say, the book is very interesting.
"The book begins with a 'Who's Who' listing of the ante-Nicene Fathers whose comments are included throughout this reference tool. The section lists not only their names but also what they are remembered for, when they lived, and how to pronounce their names. 'How to Use This Dictionary' at the beginning is useful too. . . . it is good to have a handy resource on what [the church fathers] believed and said." --Baptist Bulletin