Add To Cart
Add To Cart
Add To Cart
A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs
Wonderfully suited for devotional or thematic study as well as sermon illustration, this resource offers a window into the world of the early church and affords a special opportunity to examine topically the thoughts of men like Clement of Rome, Ignatius, and Polycarp, who were students of the original apostles, as well as the thoughts of other great lights in the life of the early church such as Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, and Tertullian. For anyone interested in historic Christianity, this book cannot be overlooked. This book features:
- Relevant comments on key Christian concepts from prominent figures such as Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Clement of Rome, and Hippolytus
- Key biblical verses associated with each topic
- Brief definitions of unfamiliar terms or concepts
- A "Who's Who" of Ante-Nicene Christianity to put in context the ancient Christian writers
- Discussion of more than 700 key theological, moral, and historical topics
- Strategic cross-references to related topics
- A topical index to the writings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers
|Title: A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs|
By: David W. Bercot, ed.
Number of Pages: 720
Vendor: Hendrickson Publishers
Publication Date: 1998
|Dimensions: 9.25 X 6.12 (inches)|
Weight: 2 pounds 8 ounces
Stock No: WW33571
Edwin M. Yamauchi, Marvin R. WilsonHendrickson Publishers / 2014 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$17.995 out of 5 stars for Antiquity, Volume 1: A-Da. View reviews of this product. 3 Reviews
Retail Price$29.95Save 40% ($11.96)
Jack FineganHendrickson Publishers / 2015 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$21.99
Retail Price$29.95Save 27% ($7.96)
Hendrickson Publishers / 2019 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$15.994.5 out of 5 stars for A Handbook on the Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith. View reviews of this product. 5 Reviews
Retail Price$24.95Save 36% ($8.96)
Daniel A. CraneHendrickson Publishers / 2018 / Trade PaperbackOur Price$11.995 out of 5 stars for 7 Books That Rocked the Church. View reviews of this product. 1 Reviews
Retail Price$19.95Save 40% ($7.96)
• Collects relevant comments on key Christian concepts from prominent figures such as Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Clement of Rome, and Hippolytus.
• Includes key biblical verses associated with a given topic.
• Offers brief definitions of unfamiliar terms or concepts, allowing easy access to the ancient material.
• Provides a "Who's Who" of ante-Nicene Christianity to put in context the ancient Christian writers.
• Discusses more than 700 key theological, moral, and historical topics.
• Gives strategic cross-reverences to related topics.
• Functions as a topical index to the writings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers.
"At times sermons and books refer to the beliefs and writings of early Christian leaders, and this dictionary is a compilation of those, arranged according to more than seven hundred topics. What did Clement of Alexandria say about abortion? What did Irenaeus note concerning the priesthood of the believer? How did Justin Martyr view the matter of divorce? Needless to say, the book is very interesting.
"The book begins with a 'Who's Who' listing of the ante-Nicene Fathers whose comments are included throughout this reference tool. The section lists not only their names but also what they are remembered for, when they lived, and how to pronounce their names. 'How to Use This Dictionary' at the beginning is useful too. . . . it is good to have a handy resource on what [the church fathers] believed and said." --Baptist Bulletin
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
Ask a Question
What would you like to know about this product? Please enter your name, your email and your question regarding the product in the fields below, and we'll answer you in the next 24-48 hours.
If you need immediate assistance regarding this product or any other, please call 1-800-CHRISTIAN to speak directly with a customer service representative.