Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Philosophical Branches▼▲
- Philosophical Schools▼▲
- Philosophical Subjects▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 176
|Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5 (inches)|
Medieval Heresy: Popular Movements from the Gregorian Reform to the ReformationMalcolm LambertWiley-Blackwell / Trade Paperback$83.69
The idea of a heretic conjures up many images, from the martyrs prepared to die for their beliefs, through to sects with bizarre practices. This book provides a remarkable insight into the fraught history of heresy, showing how the Church came to insist on orthodoxy when threatened by alternative ideals, exploring the social and political conditions under which heretics were created, and how those involved were 'tested' and punished, often by imprisonment and burning. Engaging written, A Brief History of Heresy is enlivened throughout with fascinating examples of individuals and movements.
- A short, accessible history of heresy.
- Spans the last two millennia, from the Gnostics through to modern sects.
- Considers heresy in relation to ecclesial separatism, doctrinal disagreement, church order, and basic metaphysics.
- Enlivened with intriguing examples of individuals and movements.
- Written by a leading academic in the field of Religious History.
"What Gill Evans's lively and accessible study shows is that if the Church today is to proceed towards a unity truly based upon Christ, we need to distinguish between desirably dissident ‘whistle-blowers’ where the official Church has gotten out of step with its founder, and those voices of dissidence which, on examination, prove clearly contrary to the teaching of Christ. This is accordingly a timely as well as entertaining book, a distillation of wide learning designed for the intelligent common reader." David Lyle Jeffrey, Baylor University
"It is an excellent survey of heresy throughout the church's history. Those who read for information and insight will be abundantly rewarded." Ashland Theological Journal
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Persecution & Martyrdom
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology