Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Philosophical Branches▼▲
- Philosophical Schools▼▲
- Philosophical Subjects▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 176
|Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5 (inches)|
Medieval Heresy: Popular Movements from the Gregorian Reform to the ReformationMalcolm LambertWiley-Blackwell / Trade Paperback$83.69
The idea of a heretic conjures up many images, from the martyrsprepared to die for their beliefs, through to sects with bizarrepractices. This book provides a remarkable insight into the fraughthistory of heresy, showing how the Church came to insist onorthodoxy when threatened by alternative ideals, exploring thesocial and political conditions under which heretics were created,and how those involved were 'tested' and punished, often byimprisonment and burning. Engaging written, A Brief History ofHeresy is enlivened throughout with fascinating examples ofindividuals and movements.
- A short, accessible history of heresy.
- Spans the last two millennia, from the Gnostics through tomodern sects.
- Considers heresy in relation to ecclesial separatism, doctrinaldisagreement, church order, and basic metaphysics.
- Enlivened with intriguing examples of individuals andmovements.
- Written by a leading academic in the field of ReligiousHistory.
"What Gill Evans's lively and accessible study shows is that ifthe Church today is to proceed towards a unity truly based uponChrist, we need to distinguish between desirably dissident‘whistle-blowers’ where the official Church has gottenout of step with its founder, and those voices of dissidence which,on examination, prove clearly contrary to the teaching of Christ.This is accordingly a timely as well as entertaining book, adistillation of wide learning designed for the intelligent commonreader." David Lyle Jeffrey, Baylor University
"It is an excellent survey of heresy throughout the church'shistory. Those who read for information and insight will beabundantly rewarded." Ashland Theological Journal
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Significant People & Events >> Persecution & Martyrdom
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology