Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 176
|Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5 (inches)|
The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern WorldAlister E. McGrathRandom House / 2006 / Trade Paperback$11.99 Retail:
$15.99Save 25% ($4.00)
- A short, accessible book on the history of heaven.
- Draws together representations of heaven by a wide range of writers, theologians, politicians and artists.
- Covers literary works such as Dante's Divine Comedy, Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, and the poems of George Herbert.
- Considers discussions by Marx and Freud of heaven's role in society.
- Based on serious scholarship but is ideal for the non-specialist who wants to learn more about the idea of heaven.
- Alister E. McGrath is one of today's best-known Christian writers.
"Bringing together literature, theology, politics and the arts, this fascinating book traces the remarkable influence that the idea of heaven has had - and continues to have - on western culture." Publishing News
"It is delightfully lucid and insightful...Recommended for large public libraries as well as academic libraries offering a variety of Christian religious courses." Joyce Smothers, Library Journal
"Though clearly a scholar, McGrath transcends the drone of the academic dissertation, offering an accessible and thorough narrative. Using the rich visual imagery of heaven, McGrath has created a fascinating kaleidoscope for viewing the evolution of Christian worship." Publishers Weekly
"Pick of the week...It's an ambitious, immensely accessible, erudite and entertaining exploration of the way the idea of heaven has been constructed over the centuries." The Saturday Age
Ask a Question▼▲
Find Related Products▼▲
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History >> Historical Theology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Eschatology
- Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology >> Historical Theology
- Last Chance Bargains >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Church History
- Last Chance Bargains >> Books, eBooks & Audio >> Academic >> Theology