Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Title: A Book of Middle English - eBook|
By: J.A. Burrow, Thorlac Turville-Petre
Format: DRM Protected ePub
|Publication Date: 2013|
Stock No: WW39669EB
- New, thoroughly revised edition of this essential Middle English textbook.
- Introduces the language of the time, giving guidance on pronunciation, spelling, grammar, metre, vocabulary and regional dialects.
- Now includes extracts from ‘Pearl’ and Chaucer’s ‘Troilus and Criseyde’.
- Bibliographic references have been updated throughout.
- Each text is accompanied by detailed notes.
J. A. Burrow is Emeritus Professor at Bristol University. His many publications include Medieval Writers and their Work (1982) and Gestures and Looks in Medieval Narrative (2002).
Thorlac Turville-Petre is Professor of Medieval English Literature at the University of Nottingham. His previous publications include England the Nation (1996) and The Piers Plowman Electronic Archive, Vol. 2: Trinity College, Cambridge, MS B.15.19 (CD Rom, 2000).
"Currently the most lucid and illuminating introduction to the language of Middle English, with an excellent selection of literary texts chosen and annotated to suggest the interest, sophistication, and variety of Middle English writing from the Peterborough Chronicle through the works of Chaucer and his contemporaries." Andrew Galloway, Cornell University