|EDITOR'S NOTES 1|
E. Paulette Isaac
1. Adult Religious Education 5
John L. Elias
This chapter provides a historical overview of religion and religious education. In addition, it discusses how adult religious education is conducted.
2. Religious Distance Education Goes Online 13
Steven B. Frye
This chapter examines a variety of electronic distance education tools used by religious organizations.
3. Faith-Based Partnerships Promoting Health 23
Michael L. Rowland, Lolita Chappel-Aiken
This chapter examines partnerships specifically between faith-based organizations and health care institutions and health-related entities.
4. Going Green and Renewing Life: Environmental Education in Faith Communities 35
Gregory E. Hitzhusen
This chapter describes opportunities for environmental education in faith communities by reviewing important developments that have shaped religious interests in environmental topics and by highlighting examples that suggest a key role for adult educators.
5. Learning by Doing: Preparation of Bahá'í Nonformal Tutors 45
Rosemary B. Closson, Sylvia B. Kaye
This chapter describes the development of a Bahá'í international adult education program designed so that community service is both process and outcome. Particular emphasis is on the preparation of adult tutors.
6. Adult Jewish Education and Participation Among Reform Jewish Women 59
Teresa L. Mareschal
Adult Jewish education has a long, storied history. Jewish synagogues offer a variety of programs and classes to assist adults in learning about Judaism. Jewish women are active participants in adult Jewish education. This chapter explores Reform Jewish women's participation in adult Jewish education.
7. Religious Institutions as Sites of Learning for Older Adults 71
Religious institutions are not often perceived as sites of learning for older adults. This chapter analyzes religious institutions and the institutionalized church as locations for holistic adult learning in both the spiritual and secular realms.
8. Expanding the Boundaries of Adult Religious Education 83
E. Paulette Isaac
This chapter provides a synopsis of the previous chapters and presents challenges and opportunities for adult educators.