The size, complexity, and sheer scope of the Bible's story is intimidating to many. People come looking for truth, and all too often they become frustrated and unable to penetrate the redemptive story of God's love for humanity.
The Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook
is specifically designed with overcoming these obstacles. It begins with an essay on "How to Read and Study the Bible" that orients readers to what they will encounter in the Bible's pages, and this is followed by a helpful introduction/outline to each of the Bible's 66 books. The purpose of these introductions is to help the reader see a unified theme throughout the Bible and to guide their reading. Studies indicate that reading comprehension is a key factor in understanding, and in addition to its introductory materials The Handbook
provides these materials for each biblical book:
- Identifies Key Texts
- Key Terms
- One sentence summaries of each book
- Author and Date of each book
- First audience
- Summary of each book's message
- How the book fits into God's redemptive story
- How each book affects the Christian understanding of God, Humanity, salvation, and more!
- Principles to live by