Add To Cart
Add To Cart
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: Pocket Books
Publication Date: 2008
|Dimensions: 8.25 X 5.31 (inches)|
Series: Good Girlz
We Saved You a Seat Teen Girls' Bible Study: Finding and Keeping Lasting FriendshipsLisa-Jo BakerLifeway / 2017 / Trade Paperback$15.99
The Theta Ladies are the hottest new high school sorority, and Camille wants in! After seeing the girls perform a fantastic show at her school, Camille's dreaming of donning the pink satin T-shirt of the Thetas...and is beyond flattered when the sorority sisters actually acknowledge her existence. If only she could persuade her best friends -- Alexis, Jasmine, and Angel -- to join with her....
Jasmine has always butted heads with Tori Young, the Theta Ladies president, and she wants no part of the exclusive sorority scene. Camille, Alexis, and Angel are excited to be pledging and are up for any challenge. When it is time to announce new members, Camille and Alexis are accepted and Angel's left out in the cold. Despite her disappointment, Angel encourages her friends to enjoy themselves. But when the real reason for Angel's rejection comes to light, Alexis and Camille must choose: Do they break their commitment to their newfound "sisters" to take a stand for their sister at heart?
1. Fair-Weather Friends is the fifth book in Billingsley's Good Girlz series. How have the Good Girlz changed from earlier books? Who has matured the most? Who seems to have changed least?
2. Who is your favorite member of the Good Girlz? Have your opinions of any of the characters changed from book to book?
3. From the moment Camille sees the Thetas performing, she wants to be a part of their world. "I couldn't stop talking about the Theta Ladies. As a matter of fact, the whole school was talking about them." Why is Camille so drawn to the Thetas? Why does it take her so long to see the downside of the Thetas, even after the issues that come up with Angel?
4. How does each character's past shape the decisions she makes? How do they all learn from the mistakes of others?
5. Why does Jasmine see through the Thetas much earlier than her friends do? How is she different from the rest of the Good Girlz?
6. What does this book tell us about race relations? Have you or people you know experienced racism or other prejudices? How do you react to people who are outwardly prejudiced?
7. Rachel tells Jasmine, "I want you to understand that friends go through their ups and downs all the time...Keep trying to get through to them. Come up with a plan. Anything. Just don't give up on your friendship." Have any of your friendships been tested? How did you handle it? How do you work to maintain your friendships?
8. Do you think Tori's racial views reflect those of many people? Why do you think people like Tori act the way they do?
9. What does the book tell us about the nature of groups and exclusivity? Discuss the ways in which organized groups can positively and negatively impact society.
10. What were some of the funniest parts of the book? The most shocking? What were some other lines and scenes that stood out?
11. Who are some of your other favorite motivational fiction writers?
Activities to Enhance Your Book Club
1. This novel talks about the importance of community service. Get your group together for a volunteer outing. Take a look at http://www.networkforgood.org/volunteer/ or http://www.redcross.org/donate/volunteer/ for ideas. Or, brainstorm ideas for activities that support your favorite causes.
2. Have a dinner party where everyone prepares a favorite fun and easy dish. Bring music to play while you cook so you can share both songs and recipes. Try http://www.foodnetwork.com if you need ideas.
3. Get to know one another better. Write questions such as "What is your favorite book of all time?" and "Which fictional character do you most identify with?" on slips of paper. Drop them in a hat and pass them around.
4. Learn more about ReShonda Tate Billingsley and her upcoming books at http://www.myspace.com/goodgirlz1 and http://www.reshondatatebillingsley.com.