Addressed to, and designed to be read by a fourth grade student, this book can also be used by parents and teachers who wish to base their curriculum off its suggestions. With units on language and literature; history and geography; math; music; the arts and science, you can be assured that your child is getting a thorough overview of recommended fourth grade knowledge. Illustrations, full color photos, charts, maps and other visual enhancements help children gain a fuller understanding of concepts, history and places. Notes for the teacher precede each unit. 310 pages, indexed. Revised edition.
Give your child a smart start with
What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know
How can you help your child at home? This book answers that important question and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that thousands of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American fourth graders. Featuring full-color illustrations throughout, a bolder, easier-to-follow format, and a thoroughly updated curriculum, What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know is designed for parents and teachers to enjoy with children. Hundreds of thousands of students have benefited from the Core Knowledge Series. This edition, featuring a new Introduction, gives todays generation of fourth graders the advantage they need to make progress in school and establish an approach to learning that will last a lifetime. Inside youll discover
• Favorite poemsold and new, from the familiar classic "Paul Reveres Ride" to Langston Hughess "Dreams"
• Literaturefrom around the world, including African and Chinese folktales, excerpts from beloved novels, and condensed versions of popular classics such as Gullivers Travels and "Rip Van Winkle"
• Learning about languagethe basics of written English, including grammar, punctuation, parts of speech, synonyms and antonyms, plus an introduction to common English sayings and phrases
• World and American history and geographyexplore world and American history, including creation of a constitutional government and early presidents and politics
• Visual artsa broad spectrum of art from around the world, including African masks, Islamic architecture, Chinese calligraphy, and great American paintersfeaturing full-color reproductions
• Musicunderstanding and appreciating music, from the basics of musical notation to the orchestra, plus great composers and sing-along lyrics for such favorites as "Auld Lang Syne" and "Waltzing Matilda"
• Mathchallenging lessons ranging from fractions and decimals to understanding graphs, making change, square roots, and the metric system
• Sciencediscover the wonders of the human body and its systems, learn about electricity, atoms, chemistry, geology, and meteorology, plus concise biographies of some of the great scientists of our time
E. D. Hirsch, Jr., is an emeritus professor at the University of Virginia and the author of The Knowledge Deficit, The Schools We Need, and the bestselling Cultural Literacy and the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy. He and his wife, Polly, live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where they raised their three children.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.