I first picked up the book thinking it would be an interesting read. Months later, I'm still processing what I learned. I thought I knew so much about guys, but I was so wrong! My friend and I got together, ordered a bunch more of the books, and are now leading a book discussion with teenage girls. Every time we meet for discussion, lightbulbs go on, not just for the girls but for my friend and I as well! Over and over, I've gone to a trusted male family member or friend and asked, "Is this true?" And over and over, the man has replied, "Yes. You didn't know that?" As I change many of the ways in which I interact with guys, I see a surprisingly positive response from guys. I am loving it!
Drawing on the results of surveys, interviews, and focus group discussions, the authors reveal 6 surprises about guys:
1. Guys need respect: Guys would rather feel unloved than inadequate and disrespected.
2. Guys are insecure: Although guys look confident--even cocky at times--they are often insecure in themselves. They worry that they will be found out, and therefore are drawn to girls who help them feel like they measure up.
3. Guys are tough and indestructible: Guys look indestructible, but on the inside their hearts are tender, easily hurt, and strongly guarded. However, they will let down their defenses when they know their heart will be safe with a girl.
4. Guys are visual: Even decent guys in great dating relationships struggle with the desire to visually linger on and fantasize about the female body--and much of the struggle depends on what the girl is wearing.
5. Guys are all out for one thing: Teenage guys are conflicted by their powerful physical desires, which also have massive emotional consequences. Guys need your help to protect both of you.
6. Guys go after the hot girls: Guys are attracted to girls with a good personality as well as inner and outer beauty, but they can't force a physical attraction.
The book is filled with real-life examples and quotes from the guys themselves (some of which are hysterically funny). I would highly recommend this book for any young woman who wants to become a better classmate, friend, sister, daughter, girlfriend, or future wife!
I have used this book three different times over the last four years for Jr and Sr High girls. It never ceases to amaze me how little they understand teenage boys but they always want to learn. There is great info delivered in a way they can understand and learn from. I would recommend it to any teenage girl, especially the ones who think they don't need it.
I had "For Women Only", finally read it, ordered "For Young Women Only" which my younger daughter (soon to be 19) is reading and last night I heard her boyfriend reading her book aloud as they were together laughing in affirmation. I just ordered "For Young Men Only", which he cannot wait to read from cover to cover! Thank you, thank you! Expectations based on facts make for loving-lasting relationships w/ others and certainly w/ our Lord!
This is an amazing book!!! I used it as part of my devotional!!! It was a big eye opener!!! It really makes you reconsider everything you do or wear for the rest of your life!!! lol I love the honesty from the guys!!! It helps!!! :D