- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
This is the year Ruthie's family has the honor of giving Pine Grove its tree. Last spring before he left for the war, Papa chose the prefect balsam tree from high on a rocky crag. But now, as Christmas draws near, Ruthie and Mama wait impatiently for the Appalachian mountain train to bring Papa home. Even with news of the Armistice there's no word from Papa. Soon it's Christmas Eve, and Ruthie and Mama can think only of seeing Papa again. But despite that, Papa promised the townsfolk a tree, and now--with Papa or without him--Mama will see that his word is kept.
Gloria McLendon Houston's story of the courage and power of a family is as joyful and timeless as Christmas itself. And exquisite, jewel-like paintings by two-time Caldecott Medal recipient Barbara Cooney capture all the story's warmth and mountain flavor. Recommended for ages 3 to 8.
Number of Pages: 32
Publication Date: 1988
Dimensions: 10.72 X 9.80 X 0.50 (inches)
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Find Related Products
- Books >> Children >> Character & Social Skills >> Siblings/Family Life
- Books >> Children >> Picture Books >> Seasonal
- Books >> Children >> Seasonal >> Picture Books
- Children >> Children's Books >> Character & Social Skills >> Siblings/Family Life
- Children >> Children's Books >> Picture Books >> Seasonal
- Children >> Children's Books >> Seasonal >> Picture Books
- Start A New Search