Meet all your brothers and sisters! Jacobsen has delivered an accurate roadmap of Christians on every continent within all major denominations, including Pentecostalism. Blends history, sociology, and theology in a rich, multi-layered fashion. Is filled with statistics, maps, charts, and illustrations. 472 pages, softcover. Wiley-Blackwell.
Written by an award-winning author, this well-organized and comprehensive introduction to global Christianity illuminates the many ways the world's Christians live their faith today.
- Covers the entire globe: Africa, Asia, and Latin America as well as Europe, North America, and the Pacific
- Provides impartial, in-depth descriptions of the world's four major Christian traditions: Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, and Pentecostal/Charismatic
- Utilizes the best available sources to produce an up-to-date profile of demographic trends in the Christian population
- Blends history, sociology, anthropology, and theology to create a rich, multi-layered analysis of the world Christian movement
- Features clear maps and 4-color illustrations throughout the volume
Douglas Jacobsen is Distinguished Professor of Church History and Theology at Messiah College. He is author of numerous books, including Thinking in the Spirit: Theologies of the Early Pentecostal Movement (2003), which received the Pneuma Award from the Society for Pentecostal Studies, and The American University in a Postsecular Age (with Rhonda Hustedt Jacobsen, 2008), winner of the 2009 Lilly Fellows Book Award.
"The result is a most useful comprehensive survey of Christianity, one that is especially appropriate for an introductory college course or a church study program. Summing Up: Recommended. Lower- and upper-level undergraduates, practitioners, and general readers." (Choice, 1 November 2011)
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.