- All Products
- Accompaniment Tracks
- Bible Accessories
- Bible Covers
- Bible Studies & Curriculum
- Buy in Bulk
- Christian Living
- Church & Pastoral
- Church Supplies
- Clothing & Accessories
- Crafts & Recreation
- Cyber Week
- eBooks On Sale
- Gift & Home
- Last Chance Bargains
- MP3 Music Downloads
- New Release
- Slightly Imperfect
- Sunday School
Have questions about eBooks? Check out our eBook FAQs.
|Format: DRM Protected ePub|
Vendor: Abingdon Press
Publication Date: 2010
Availability: In Stock
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Living Christ: The Extraordinary Lives of Today's Spiritual Heroes - eBookHarold FickettImage Entertainment / 2002 / ePub$2.99Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW12743EB
Confident Computing for the Over 50s: Teach Yourself / Digital original - eBookBob ReevesTeach Yourself / 2010 / ePub$6.99Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW63450EB
Creation-Crisis Preaching: Ecology, Theology, and the Pulpit - eBookLeah D. SchadeChalice Press / 2015 / ePub$16.49 Retail:
$29.99Save 45% ($13.50)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW79671EB
Empowers the preacher to understand the role of wise leader to which he or she has been called, and to claim that role with conviction and joy.
Pastors are called to an exciting ministry of proclamation and leadership. That excitement, however, often turns to demoralization and burnout as pastors become increasingly uncertain of what their role is supposed to be. Competing claims by the congregation, the denomination, and society about who and what the pastor is supposed to be breed confusion and disappointment. Are they primarily managers? Therapists? Fundraisers?
A way out of this confusion lies in reclaiming the biblical understanding of who the pastor is. One of the biblical roles within the pastoral vocation that often goes neglected is that of wise teacher or sage. Scripture presents as a model of pastoral leadership those who interpret the word and will of God for daily living. Especially in their preaching, pastors are called to help the congregation understand their place in Gods world.
In this book, Alyce McKenzie lays out the four qualities of the wise teacherthe bended knee, the listening heart, the cool head, and the courageous voiceand encourages pastors to make each of these integral to their ministry and vocation. She goes on to demonstrate that the sermon is the prime opportunity to function in the role of wise teacher. She offers strategies for applying biblical wisdom to all areas of everyday life. The strategies include: (1) Preaching that is as sensory as life is; using imagery, metaphor, simile, and story to connect with peoples emotions as well as their intellect.
(2) Preaching that uses first-person experiences without being narcissistic. (3) Preaching that teaches without boring. (4) Preaching on public, often controversial issues that minimizes defensiveness and maximizes dialogue.
Find Related Products
- Church & Pastoral >> Church Supplies
- Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation
- Church & Pastoral >> Sunday School >> Teacher Training
- Church Supplies >> Sunday School Supplies
- Download >> Homeschool
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Preaching
- Download >> eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Sunday School
- Download >> eBooks >> Homeschool
- Sunday School >> Teacher Training
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation
- eBooks >> Church & Pastoral >> Sunday School >> Teacher Training
- eBooks >> Homeschool
- Start A New Search