- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Number of Pages: 136
Vendor: Liturgical Press
Publication Date: 2010
|Dimensions: 8.25 X 5.38 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
The First Christmas: What The Gospels Really Teach About Jesus's BirthMarcus J. BorgHarperOne / 2009 / Trade Paperback$10.99 Retail:
$13.99Save 21% ($3.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW430710
In the Fullness of Time: A Historian Looks at Christmas, Easter, and the Early ChurchPaul L. MaierKregel Publications / 1998 / Hardcover$16.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$24.99Save 32% ($8.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW33290
Joseph F. Kelly, PhD, is professor of religious studies at John Carroll University in Cleveland, Ohio. He is author of The Origins of Christmas, An Introduction to the New Testament for Catholics, The Collegeville Church History Timeline, The Birth of Jesus According to the Gospels, and The Ecumenical Councils of the Catholic Church, all published by Liturgical Press.
Many Christians struggle to balance the religious and secular elements of Christmas, but the history of the feast shows that this is nothing new. The religious Christmas has changed over the centuries and, contrary to many critics, is thriving today. This brief, accessible account will explain that:
- The first Christians did not celebrate Christmas at all. The earliest mention of the feast occurs in the fourth century.
- In the Middle Ages Christmas moved into northern Europe where it became a major winter festival, competing with the pagan Yule.
- During the sixteenth century some Christians objected to Christmas because they claimed it had no biblical foundation. In England and New England the Puritans made it a crime to celebrate it!
- The modern secular Christmas arose in the nineteenth century, but the religious Christmas continued to grow in popularity and meshed well with the developing emphasis on Christmas as a day for family and friends.
- In todays world rampant consumerism threatens the religious Christmas, but it continues not only to survive but to flourish, taking on new life and new forms.
By tracing these and other aspects of the religious celebration of Christmas through the centuries, Joseph F. Kelly does much more than provide us with interesting facts. He reassures us that though the religious Christmas may not be in its traditional form, it is indeed alive and welland has a bright and promising future.
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Birds, Our Teachers--Collector's Edition with DVDJohn StottHendrickson Publishers / 2011 / Hardcover$14.99 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 4 Reviews
$24.95Save 40% ($9.96)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW566826
Psalms: Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary [THOTC]Geoffrey GroganWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2008 / Trade Paperback$17.99 Retail:
$26.00Save 31% ($8.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW827067
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Backgrounds of Early Christianity
- Academic >> Church History >> General Church History Studies
- Books >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books >> Church History >> Backgrounds of Early Christianity
- Books >> Church History >> Catholic
- Books >> Church History >> General Church History Studies
- Catholic >> Church History
- Start A New Search