- All Products
- Literature & Language Artshttp://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&N=5401&Ne=1004846&Nso=1&Nu=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold
- Grade Level
- Media Type
- Guides & Workbooks
- Author / Artist
- Top Rated
- At least 10% off
- At least 20% off
- At least 30% off
- At least 40% off
- At least 50% off
- At least 60% off
- At least 70% off
- At least 80% off
Number of Pages: 288
Vendor: Penguin Putnam Inc.
Publication Date: 1998
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
'Many people are not in the least disturbed at the harm that befalls them, provided they can see their enemies downfall first
In a series of pithy, amusing vignettes, Aesop created a vivid cast of characters to demonstrate different aspects of human nature. Here we see a wily fox outwitted by a quick-thinking cicada, a tortoise triumphing over a self-confident hare and a fable-teller named Aesop silencing those who mock him. Each jewel-like fable provides a warning about the consequences of wrong-doing, as well as offering a glimpse into the everyday lives of Ancient Greeks.
This definitive edition is the first translation into English of the entire corpus of 358 unbowdlerized fables. It is fully annotated, with an introduction that rescues the fables from a tradition of moralistic interpretation.
Aesop probably lived in the middle part of the sixth century BC. A statement in Herodotus gives ground for thinking that he was a slave belonging to a citizen of Samos called Iadmon. Legend says that he was ugly and misshapen. There are many references to Aesop found in the Athenian writers: Aristophanes, Xenophon, Plato, Aristotle and others. It is not known whether he wrote down his Fables himself, nor indeed how many of them are correctly attributed to his invention.
Other Customers Also Purchased
Days with Frog and Toad: An I Can Read Book, Level 2Arnold LobelSave 13%
Find Related Products
- Children >> Children's Books >> Fiction >> Fairytales Fables & Mythology
- Children >> Children's Books >> Other
- Education >> Literature & Language Arts >> Literature & Classics
- Fiction >> Children >> Fairytales Fables & Mythology
- Fiction >> Classic Fiction
- Homeschool >> Language Arts >> Literature & Classics >> Other
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search