- Media Type▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
Barbara E. Reid, O.P., here pays attention to the role of women in the accounts of Jesus' passion and observes that some of the interpretations of Jesus' death in the New Testament open us up to life and liberation, while others have been used to perpetuate cycles of violence and victimization.
When women have identified their suffering with that of Jesus, this has sometimes given them strength, but has also led to a harmful acceptance of unjust suffering. Reid explores five theological "images" of the death of Jesus through conversation with the voices of women from Mexico, Bolivia, and Peru and examination of the roles of women in the New Testament accounts. The result is an illuminating combination of New Testament exegesis with a liberative constructive theology.
Barbara E. Reid, O.P., is Professor of New Testament Studies at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago, Illinois, and author of a number of books, including The Gospel according to Matthew.
Number of Pages: 200
Vendor: Fortress Press
Publication Date: 2007
|Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
New Collegeville Bible Commentary #1: The Gospel According to MatthewBarbara E. ReidLiturgical Press / 2005 / Trade Paperback$8.96 Retail:
$9.95Save 10% ($0.99)Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW628605
A Retreat with Luke: Stepping out on the Word of GodBarbara E. ReidFranciscan Media / 2000 / Trade Paperback$8.06 Retail:
$8.95Save 10% ($0.89)Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW7163321
Parables for Preachers: The Gospel of Luke, Year CBarbara E. ReidLiturgical Press / 2000 / Trade Paperback$22.46 Retail:
$24.95Save 10% ($2.49)Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW625525
Susan Hickman5 Stars Out Of 5June 20, 2009Susan Hickmana thoughtful and thought provoking look at the theology of the cross as it has/can be misused and excellent reflection, analysis and articulation of a theology of the cross that is truly liberating for all people
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Biblical Studies
- Academic >> Theology >> General Theology >> Women's Studies >> Feminist Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Hermeneutics
- Academic >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Hispanic/Latino Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Women's Studies
- Books >> Biblical Studies
- Books >> Theology >> General Theology >> Women's Studies >> Feminist Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Hermeneutics
- Books >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Hispanic/Latino Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Women's Studies
- Start A New Search