The monastic movement began as a desire among lay people for a more intense, disciplined way of living the Christian life. St. Benedict (480-547) wrote a guidebook for the monks in his monasteries that eventually became the standard for monastic life in the West. In the centuries following, monasteries thrived with Benedict's Rule as their foundation and influenced European culture in ways far beyond what those first humble monks dreamed.
In this issue, you will discover the story of these counter-cultural Benedictines and have the opportunity to consider how you might apply their ideals to your own life in the rough and tumble 21st century.
Inside this issue you'll find:
- Radical Christians - Alone or in community, early monks and nuns sought to follow Christ in a whole-hearted and vividly counter-cultural way.
- The Blessing of Benedict - The "Father of Western Monasticism" spent his life teaching spiritual beginners about kindness, community, and prayer.
- A Life of Listening - Benedict's Rule became the gold standard of monastic life.
- Also: Monk-ing around
- Converting Europe - For centuries, monks were at the center of the Western missionary enterprise.
- Also: A monk who made history
- Illuminating Europe - Under Charlemagne's influence, the monasteries shaped the future of Western education, trade, and even handwriting.
- Also: The emperor's scholar
- Unceasing Prayer in an Uncertain World - As the peace and unity of Europe collapsed, the monastery of Cluny pointed a new way forward.
- Also: The tale of Peter Abbot - Living like a monk in the "real world"
- Remonking the Church - Many Catholics and Protestants are looking back to Benedict for the community and spiritual intensity they can't find in modern culture.
- Did You Know? - Interesting and little-known facts about Benedictine monasticism.
- Timeline - The rise of Western Monasticism.
Vendor: Christianity Today
Publication Date: 2007
Availability: In Stock
Series: Christian History and Biography Magazine
Vicar of Clergy4 Stars Out Of 5Love this magazine!April 17, 2015Vicar of ClergyQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5This is a great magazine and a wonderful resource. I used this to include in my conference registration. I hope CBD offers more back issues of this magazine at this very affordable cost. The information offered is timeless.
Beren4 Stars Out Of 5Always fascinatingDecember 20, 2014BerenQuality: 4Value: 5Meets Expectations: 4Christian History is always full of well written articles. What struck me most in this one was how the monasteries created a stable model for community during the Middle Ages, as the Roman Empire crumbled. The floorplan showing how they balanced physical labor with worship was interesting to look at, as was the literal application of the Psalmist's call to worship in the middle of the night. The church always elevates the mundane routines of life and reinstates the dignity of man lost in the garden of Eden. Purposeful labor is never to be disparaged. Looking at their daily schedule was fascinating. I've attended vespers and compline services, and it is a marvelous way to end the day: at rest in one's spirit, before resting the body.
Michael KovalanMalaysiaAge: Over 65Gender: male3 Stars Out Of 5October 21, 2010Michael KovalanMalaysiaAge: Over 65Gender: maleQuality: 3Value: 2Meets Expectations: 2The product is for general reading and information. Not for serious readers like me.
Other Customers Also Purchased
A Musical Tribute to C.S. Lewis, Compact Disc [CD]Maranatha Music / Compact disc$1.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 8 Reviews
$13.98Save 86% ($11.99)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WWCD4925
Nobody Knows: The Forgotten Story of One of the Most Influential Figures in American MusicCraig von BuseckBaker Books / 2013 / Hardcover$2.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$17.99Save 83% ($15.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW016090
Taylor's Gift: A Courageous Story of Giving Life and Renewing HopeTodd Storch, Tara Storch, Jennifer SchuchmannRevell / 2013 / Hardcover$0.99 Retail:5 Stars Out Of 5 6 Reviews
$21.99Save 95% ($21.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW721886Video