- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
By the end of the twentieth century, events in Eastern Europe, notably the conflict between the Orthodox and Uniate Churches in the Ukraine and Rumania, the tension between Rome and the Moscow patriarchate over the re-establishment of a Catholic hierarchy in the Russian Federation, and the civil war in the then federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia, brought attention to the fragile relations between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, which once had been two parts of a single Communion. At the start of the twenty-first century, in the pontificate of Benedict XVI, a papal visit to Russia-at the symbolic level, a major step forward in the 'healing of memories'- appears at last a realistic hope.
In addition, the schisms separating Rome from the two lesser, but no less interesting, Christian families, the Assyrian (Nestorian) and Oriental Orthodox (Monophysite) Churches, are examined. The book also contains an account of the origins and present condition of the Eastern Catholic Churches-a deeper knowledge of which, by their Western brethren, was called for at the Second Vatican Council as well as by subsequent synods and popes.
Providing both historical and theological explanations of these divisions, this illuminating and thought-provoking book chronicles the recent steps taken to mend them in the Ecumenical Movement and offers a realistic assessment of the difficulties (theological and political) which any reunion would experience.
Aidan Nichols OP is the John Paul II Memorial Lecturer in the Faculty of Theology at the University of Oxford, and a member of the Dominican community at Blackfriars, Cambridge. He is the author of many books on theology and spirituality including Lovely Like Jerusalem, Looking at the Liturgy, and Hopkins: A Theologian's Poet.
Number of Pages: 400
Vendor: Ignatius Press
Publication Date: 2010
|Dimensions: 8.00 X 5.25 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Discovering Aquinas: An Introduction to His Life, Work, and InfluenceAidan NicholsWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2003 / Trade Paperback$19.99 Retail:
$30.00Save 33% ($10.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW05140
Lovely Like Jerusalem: The Fulfillment of the Old Testament in Christ and the ChurchAidan NicholsIgnatius Press / 2007 / Trade Paperback$15.26 Retail:
$16.95Save 10% ($1.69)Availability: Expected to ship on or about 03/28/15.CBD Stock No: WW171681
An Introduction to the Christian Orthodox ChurchesJohn BinnsCambridge University Press / Trade Paperback$39.36Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.CBD Stock No: WW667380
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Catholicism
- Academic >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Eastern Orthodoxy
- Academic >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Ecumenism
- Academic >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Catholic Theology
- Academic >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Eastern Orthodoxy
- Academic >> Theology >> Topics of Debate
- Books >> Catholic >> Church History
- Books >> Catholic >> Theology
- Books >> Church History >> Catholic
- Books >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Catholicism
- Books >> Church History >> Movements & Traditions >> Eastern Orthodoxy
- Books >> Theology >> Doctrinal Theology >> Ecumenism
- Books >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Catholic Theology
- Books >> Theology >> Theological Movements & Traditions >> Eastern Orthodoxy
- Books >> Theology >> Topics of Debate
- Catholic >> Church History
- Catholic >> Theology
- Start A New Search