RightStart ™ Mathematics is a hands-on and visual program stressing understanding and problem solving. Using the AL abacus, the child learns to visualize concepts and strategies for memorizing the facts. Practice is provided through games from Math Card Games. Standards-based and comprehensive, this Kindergarten to Grade 4 program is formatted in daily lessons with detailed instructions for both classroom and homeschool.
- The AL abacus, grouped in fives and tens, to encourage visualizing quantities and operations
- Minimum amount of counting, not used to find sums or remainders
- Value naming of tens and ones; for example, referring to 23 as 2-ten 3
- Part-part-whole model used for integrating addition and subtraction and solving problems
- Two-digit addition and subtraction done mentally
- Four-digit addition taught in first grade and 4-digit subtraction in second grade
- Problem-solving and reasoning throughout
- Practice for mastering strategies and facts provided through games
- Geometry introduced in Levels A-B and continued with drawing boards in Levels C-E
In Level B, the child learns the addition facts and adds numbers in the thousands. He learns the addition facts with strategies and learns to add 4-digit numbers. Subtraction is delayed until addition is thoroughly understood. Geometry, money, unit fractions, and other math related topics are also introduced. Level B can be implemented without Level A.
This starter kit includes the lesson book, worksheets, and 10 essential manipulatives for Level B:
- Standard AL Abacus
- Place Value Cards
- Base Ten Picture Cards
- Abacus Tiles
- Cards for Math Games
- Color Cubes
- Colored Tiles
- Geared Clock
- Math Balance
- Tally Sticks-50ct
- Geometry Reflector
- Yellow is the Sun CD
- Game Instructional DVD.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.