- All Products
- Closeoutshttp://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?event=EBRN&N=5401&Nso=1&Nu=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold (5,585)
- Media Type
- Author / Artist
- Top Rated
- At least 10% off
- At least 20% off
- At least 30% off
- At least 40% off
- At least 50% off
- At least 60% off
- At least 70% off
- At least 80% off
- At least 90% off
Many reasons: Baxter lived through so much of the Puritan era-from 1616 to 1691. He wrote what by many standards is the best record of it, from a personal standpoint, in his autobiography. He was one of the top Puritan leaders of his day, the most successful Puritan pastor, and the most prolific Puritan writer.
From Baxter it is not a far leap into the wide spectrum of opinions, personalities, and experiences that make up English Puritanism as a whole, including one of its abiding characteristics: the belief that all real theology is practical theology. The Puritans were certainly not without their faults, but as Dr. J.I. Packer told us, in all of their diversity and adversity, their triumphs and setbacks, two very deep concerns emerge: how to be holy and how to be human.
Inside this issue you'll find:
- A Pen in God's Hand - Richard Baxter wrote, preached, taught, and visited his way to become the model pastor.
- Physicians of the Soul - A conversation with J.I. Packer about the nature of Puritanism and its continuing legacy.
- The Puritan Moses - Believing he was on a mission from God, Oliver Cromwell became both military genius and lawgiver.
- The Original Puritan Work Ethic - By valuing all of life in relation to God, Puritans gave sacred significance to every activity.
- Richard & Margaret - Difficult man + difficult woman = model marriage.
- The Cost of Pilgrimage - After the Restoration, Protestants persecuted Protestants like never before.
On the Record: The Character of an Old English Puritan - The classic description of Puritanism from a 1646 tract.
Vendor: Christianity Today
Publication Date: 2006
Availability: In Stock
Series: Christian History and Biography Magazine
Junior5 Stars Out Of 5November 2, 2012JuniorQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5
It was what I needed to learn more about the Puritans. I thought I was reading a History book!
Other Customers Also Purchased
The Monkey Trial & the Rise of FundamentalismChristianity Today / 1997 / Other$0.49 Retail:
$5.95Save 92% ($5.46)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW6010334