Many reasons: Baxter lived through so much of the Puritan era-from 1616 to 1691. He wrote what by many standards is the best record of it, from a personal standpoint, in his autobiography. He was one of the top Puritan leaders of his day, the most successful Puritan pastor, and the most prolific Puritan writer.
From Baxter it is not a far leap into the wide spectrum of opinions, personalities, and experiences that make up English Puritanism as a whole, including one of its abiding characteristics: the belief that all real theology is practical theology. The Puritans were certainly not without their faults, but as Dr. J.I. Packer told us, in all of their diversity and adversity, their triumphs and setbacks, two very deep concerns emerge: how to be holy and how to be human.
Inside this issue you'll find:
- A Pen in God's Hand - Richard Baxter wrote, preached, taught, and visited his way to become the model pastor.
- Physicians of the Soul - A conversation with J.I. Packer about the nature of Puritanism and its continuing legacy.
- The Puritan Moses - Believing he was on a mission from God, Oliver Cromwell became both military genius and lawgiver.
- The Original Puritan Work Ethic - By valuing all of life in relation to God, Puritans gave sacred significance to every activity.
- Richard & Margaret - Difficult man + difficult woman = model marriage.
- The Cost of Pilgrimage - After the Restoration, Protestants persecuted Protestants like never before.
On the Record: The Character of an Old English Puritan - The classic description of Puritanism from a 1646 tract.
Vendor: Christianity Today
Publication Date: 2006
Availability: In Stock
Series: Christian History and Biography Magazine
Emilia5 Stars Out Of 5good lesson on puritansNovember 22, 2014EmiliaQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5Very interesting
Junior5 Stars Out Of 5November 2, 2012JuniorQuality: 5Value: 5Meets Expectations: 5It was what I needed to learn more about the Puritans. I thought I was reading a History book!
Other Customers Also Purchased
Does Christianity Teach Male Headship? The Equal-Regard Marriage and Its CriticsD. Blackenhorn, D. Browning & M.S. Van Leeuwen, eds.Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2003 / Trade Paperback$1.99 Retail:2 Stars Out Of 5 2 Reviews
$15.00Save 87% ($13.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW821715
Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible and What He Wants to Do with YouJohn MacArthurThomas Nelson / 2008 / Trade Paperback$12.49 Retail:4.5 Stars Out Of 5 28 Reviews
$16.99Save 26% ($4.50)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW280285
Hear No Evil: My Story of Innocence, Music, and Holy GhostMatthew Paul TurnerRandom House, Inc / 2010 / Trade Paperback$0.99 Retail:4 Stars Out Of 5 18 Reviews
$14.99Save 93% ($14.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW074723
The Attack on Jesus, DVDTruth in Action / DVD$0.99 Retail:
$10.00Save 90% ($9.01)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW722186