Reading the Bible with the Dead: What You Can Learn from the History of Exegesis That You Can't Learn from Exegesis Alone
- Grade Level▼▲
- Media Type▼▲
- Theological Tradition▼▲
- Guides & Workbooks▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
What our modern minds shy away from, however, ancient, medieval, and Reformation commentators dove into. In fact, their writings often display strikingly contemporary interests and sensitivities to the meaning and moral implications of the Bible's difficult narratives. John Thompson here presents nine case studies in the history of exegesis---including the stories of Hagar and Jephthah's daughter, the imprecatory psalms, and texts that address domestic relations, particularly divorce---in order to demonstrate the valuable insights into Scripture that we can gain not only from what individual commentators say but from fifteen centuries' cumulative witness to the meaning of Scripture in the life of the church.
John L. Thompson is professor of historical theology and Gaylen & Susan Byker Professor of Reformed Theology at Fuller Theological Seminary.
Number of Pages: 312
Vendor: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.
Publication Date: 2007
|Dimensions: 9.00 X 6.00 (inches)|
Availability: Usually ships in 24-48 hours.
Virtue and the Voice of God: Toward Theology as WisdomDaniel J. TreierWm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. / 2006 / Trade Paperback$27.00 Retail:
$30.00Save 10% ($3.00)Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW830749
Imperfect Peace: Teaching Sermons on Troubling TextsJon M. WaltonAbingdon Press / 1999 / Trade Paperback$17.99Availability: In StockCBD Stock No: WW7060141
Find Related Products
- Academic >> Bible Reference >> General >> Hard Sayings
- Academic >> Theology >> Ethics >> Moral Theology
- Books >> Bible Reference >> General >> Hard Sayings
- Books >> Church & Pastoral >> General
- Books >> Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> General
- Books >> Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation
- Books >> Theology >> Ethics >> Moral Theology
- Church & Pastoral >> General
- Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> General
- Church & Pastoral >> Preaching >> Sermon Preparation
- Start A New Christianbook.com Search