The New American Commentary series brings the best of contemporary evangelical scholarship that honors the full trustworthiness and authority of Scripture to the task of serious exegetical and theological exposition of the Word. It combines scholarship and piety to offer a life-enhancing and life-supporting commentary for the whole church.
In this volume, Dale Garrett turns his keen exegetical skills to the wisdom literature of the Old Testament. Although modern scholarship (including some evangelical scholarship) has all but dismissed any Solomonic connection to Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs, Garrett affirms the Solomonic connection inherent in all three. He also takes a fresh look at the wisdom literature in view of new studies on the historical development of biblical Hebrew and, more importantly, in view of his own evaluations of parallels with Ancient Near Eastern wisdom literature, particularly from Egypt and Mesopotamia. He presents stimulating arguments for Solomonic authorship of Ecclesiastes and the Song of Songs, as well as for Solomonic background to those portions of Proverbs ascribed to him. A discussion of the nature and development of Israelite wisdom puts his work into context. Particularly helpful is Garrett's discussion of forms and rhetorical strategies in the wisdom literature. Overview of the New American Commentary (NAC):
- Theologically conservative (Evangelical)
- Semi-technical (use of Greek and Hebrew in the footnotes)
- Based on the New International Version (NIV), but authors are free to use their own translations when applicable
- Designed for pastors, teachers and students
Features of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs
, by Duane Garrett:
- A verse-by-verse exposition of the biblical wisdom literature
- An integrated commentary which assumes Solomonic influence or authorship for Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Songs
- A practical application of the timeless principles for godly living seen in the wisdom literature
- A detailed analysis of the literary strategies of each book, and how this impacts their meaning and application
THE NEW AMERICAN COMMENTARY is for the minister or Bible student who wants to understand and expound the Scriptures. Notable features include:* commentary based on THE NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION;* the NIV text printed in the body of the commentary;* sound scholarly methodology that reflects capable research in the original languages;* interpretation that emphasizes the theological unity of each book and of Scripture as a whole;* readable and applicable exposition.
Have a question about this product? Ask us here.