- NIV-New International Version
- KJV-King James Version
- NKJV-New King James Version
- ESV-English Standard Version
- NLT-New Living Translation
- NASB-New American Standard
- HCSB-Holman Christian Standard
- NIrV-New International Readers Version
- NRSV-New Revised Standard Version
- CEB-Common English Bible
- Ancient Manuscripts
- Author's Translation
- Biblia Textual
- CEV-Contemporary English Version
- Dios Habla Hoy
- GNT-Good News Translation
- ICB-International Children's Bible
- God's Word
- LBLA-Las Americas
- Living Bible
- NAB-New American Bible
- NABRE-New American Bible Revised Edition
- NASB update-New American Standard Update
- NBD-Nueva Biblia al Dia
- NCV-New Century Version
- NEB-New English Bible
- NET-New English Translation
- NTV-Nueva Traduccion Viviente
- NVI-Nueva Version Internacional
- REB-Revised English Bible
- RSV-Revised Standard Version
- RVR-Reina Valera
- The Voice
- TNIV-Today's New International Version
- TLA-Traduccion en Lenguaje Actual
- With Apocrypha
- Nueva Version Internacional
- KJVer-King James Easy Reader
- MEV-Modern English Version
- NLV-New Life Version
- TEV-Today's English Version
- Helps & Features▼▲
- Black Letter
- Book Introductions
- Book Outlines
- Character Profiles
- Family Record Page
- Gilded Edges
- Gold Gilding
- Harmony of the Gospels
- Magnetic Flap
- Note Pages
- Other Helps
- Plan of Salvation
- Presentation Page
- Ribbon Marker
- Self-Pronouncing Text
- Silver Gilding
- Snap Flap
- Table of Weights & Measures
- Thumb Index
- Topical Index
- Two or More Ribbon Markers
- w / Apocrypha / Deuterocanonicals
- Media Type▼▲
- Text Color▼▲
- Text Layout▼▲
- Text Size▼▲
- Note Size▼▲
- Author / Artist▼▲
- Top Rated▼▲
What's the Point?
Text sizes in Bibles and other books are measured in points. A text character is measured from top to bottom of an uppercase text character (usually "E"). There are 72 points to an inch. Text in a Bible with 12-point text size is 12/72" in height (or 1/6").
Comparing Text Sizes
To get a good idea of Bible text sizes, use the following instructions to create and print your own comparative guide to text sizes, or print our PDF Comparative Guide to Text Sizes.
Copy the following lines to your clipboard, then paste them into your word processor:
6-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
8-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
9-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
10-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
12-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
14-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
16-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
18-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
20-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
22-pt text Thank you for shopping at Christianbook.com!
In your word processor, change the font size of each line to the size specified at the beginning of the line.
Print the document from your word processor. Once you have it printed, you will have a good idea of the font sizes we mention in the descriptions of our Bibles.
Keep in mind:
Your results may vary! Print size can differ among printers (and software). Usually this is slight, and while there is no way to be certain that your print sizes will exactly match the text size in the actual Bible, it should be quite close enough to help you decide what size you are comfortable with, and close enough to use as a buying guide.
It is important to actually print the text. Don't rely on your screen display. Monitors and monitor resolution settings will display font sizes differently.
The "boldness" of the text in your samples will probably differ somewhat from the actual print in the Bible you purchase (due to different font styles used in publishing), but the size or height of the text should be close enough for comparison.
Smaller text is easier to read in a two-colum format because your eyes don't have to travel too far to follow a line. Most Bibles with smaller text use a two-column format for this reason.
You can learn more about large-print text sizes here.